Author Topic: Drummer auditions  (Read 1953 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Drummer auditions
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Drummer auditions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »
 :mrgreen:

I feel their pain.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »
I've been there, done that.  From drummers that came in with huge kits, talked a good game for an hour while setting them up, and then couldn't hold down a beat for their lives to guys that had great chops and bigger egos/attitudes.  The best drummer audition we had took 10 seconds to decide.  This guy came in, recommended by the wife of one guitarist as a "guy that someone knew where she worked".  We were skeptical.  The guy comes in, says he hasn't played in a few years, and proceeds to do a tasty run down on the toms, ending with an off-time high-hat "sip".  I was sold.  We went though the usual half hour of songs anyway.  He was a great drummer, in the end.  He stayed with us for the six months that the band was together.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
Our surf band was formed by our drummer, who is one of the best 60-'s surf-style drummers you will ever hear.  The guy is like a machine gun, and when we play Wipe Out, he gets standing O's.

Unfortunately he's 62 and has bad foot and neck problems, so neither he nor the rest of the band are sure how long he will be able to keep playing.  We just want to keep him going as long as we possibly can.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »
Hell, between the knee operation, bad feet, and a left shoulder that gets a pinched nerve, I'm figuring I only have a couple years left.  There isn't a set that goes by where I lose all the feeling in my left hand.  I also have a drum throne, so I spend some time standing, and some time sitting.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
Our standing joke is that every time we play Wipe Out, we need a cute girl in a nurse uniform to run in and administer O2 to the drummer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
MEDIC...!!! :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
Actually, she could throw a cape over his shoulders and we could vamp into "Please Don't Go"...but he's an old white guy and doesn't look like James Brown...and he can't sing.  Waste of a good setup.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
How painful to watch :o

I only made 2/3s of the way through... Geez a little person on crutches ???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:11:09 PM by Lightyear »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
How painful to watch :o

I only made 2/3s of the way through... Geez a little person on crutches ???

I was impressed!  Kind of a cool guy.

But one of my very good friends was born essentially without arms - he's a retired video producer and he's a gas to be around.

http://www.tomsfeet.com/  Check out the photos of him throwing out the first pitch at a Padres game - with his foot.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »
Like I said - I think I shut it down when the little guy showed up - maybe I got the wrong vibe but it just seemed a bit sad - maybe I should have let it run a bit longer.

Your friend is inspiring - how many us have done so much without such daunting physical hurdles?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
I've posted this before.  My old singer/guitarist.  He's still playing around Oklahoma City.  Hoppy Niles and OAB.

Hornisse

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »
The dude on crutches was the best of the bunch!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
The dude on crutches was the best of the bunch!

I agree.  And I try to use my friend Tom as an example reminding me not to assume too much about what people can't do.  For instance, Tom's wife doesn't drive - at all.  He drives using his feet (with special foot-driving equipment.)  I've ridden with him in San Diego traffic - and I'd rather ride with him than one of my past bosses.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:28 AM »
He was the drummer they hired, he was the best of the lot.