Author Topic: Another hybrid: the JazzBird  (Read 6607 times)

PeterB

• View Profile
Another hybrid: the JazzBird
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
During the past months I've collected some parts to create a new monster, I wanted something unusual, with low costs and with a fat sound.

Please, meet my "JazzBird", I thought it might be fun to share this with you  ;D

I always liked the idea of the Mel Schacher mod, but never had a bass to fit it in, because I also thought it should be in a Jazzbass, like the original. But when I stumbled across a Epi Thunderbird neck, I took up this plan of a JazzBird to fit this mod in.

Found an old reliced Jazzbody with a very tight neckpocket and an Epi humbucker from a EB-3. Perfect!

When assembling the bass, the first problem was that the neck didn't fit in the body, the Epi neck is much smaller than a regular Fender/Allparts neck. I've thought about different solutions, but in the end I just decided to not try to fix it, but just bolt it on and see what happens. Only the bottom of the neck connects to the body, on the sides is a free space of appr. 1-2 mm's.

After completing the bass, I came across the next issue: the output of the E and G strings was very low. Experimented a lot with pickup-height, connection of the neck, the wiring. The spacing of the pickup was just right under the strings, but very tight. Tried everything and than I got some help from some members on the Dutch bassforum, which inspired me to the following "genius" solution: I used some "tools" to extend the spacing of the magnets and it worked...such a simple solution, I just can't believe it was just thé perfect solution  :o

In this picture, it looks like the strings don't match the poles of the pup right, but they do  ;)

Now I have an even output on all the strings, it sounds like a monster  8) The jazzpup on the bridge is a no-name, and very weak, so I have to replace that with a hot sounding pup soon. I also want to order an Artec Mudbucker to compare with this Epi humbucker, I suppose that Artec might sound even better.  8)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Another hybrid: the JazzBird
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »
I like it!  I confess that I'm not a big T-bird fan, I'm a little more Fender-centric and I like the balance of my J-bass.  That neck adds a great touch!  Now that you have the big chrome PU on the neck side, you might consider going even more to the Gibby look on the bridge J-pickup as well.  Of course, keeping it simple would mean just finding a hotter J-bridge pickup.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »
Great idea Peter! (I already told you so  ;) )

Are you gonna put the BaCHbird bridge on this one?

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
Thanks! Yes Rob, I'm gonna try to put that bridge on it, would look cool and the height of the saddles on the current bridge is very high, so I think it would be a nice fit. But first I'd need some advice how to mount this bridge, I'm afraid I don't have the tools to drill that big holes.

@ Pilgrim: yes, but if I would go for a Gibby look, it wouldn't be the Mel Schacher mod anymore I always wanted. Maybe later, we'll see  ;) A T-Bird pichup on the bridge would also be a cool idea.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:37:42 AM »
Great looks! Epi Tbird neck is great IMHO, others can't stand it, but I love it.
How does it balance? And where are the soundclips? :D

What are the possible solutions for the neck pocket mismatch? I have a cheapo jbass body and a weirdo neck that someday I want to put together, but I have the same problem, neck pocket is too wide.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »
Maybe glueing veneer on the sides of the neckpocket? If you sand the sides of the neck pocket blank and use good glue it should work out just fine.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:49:18 AM »
I thought so about veneer, seems the simplest solution!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »
As Rob suggested, using veneer is a good and simple option.

And: it balances very well, better than I expected.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »
Great solution to the pickup output problem.  8)

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:34 AM »
My Epi Rivoli had the same output problem, especially on the E string. About a year ago I partially solved it by sticking a couple of small magnets in the pickup and raising it as far as I could:

This made things a little better, but not enough. I told Peter about this magnet trick and he's tried it too. Yesterday I saw Peter's pics on the Dutch bassforum so I tried his mod as well:

Since I didn't have allen keys that fitted I had to improvise, I think I've nailed it. Now the output is even across all four strings. Me happy :)

BTW: First post here.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
Nice fix guys!  Welcome Sven!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
Welcome Sven! Great to see you found the Outpost too.

Nail That Tone tm

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Sven, I like it!  That appears to be a quick way to turn a pickup into a soapbar with even sensing across its width.  Almost too simple!

And I'm glad to hear that the Jazzbird balances well - that's one of the great advantages of the J-models. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »
Hey Sven, good to see you here! Welcome  ;)

Good to hear it worked out so well for you also!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:20:16 AM »
Welcome Sven and another great project, Peter!