Author Topic: All The Old Dudes  (Read 4449 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: All The Old Dudes
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
My mom was close to losing her window of memory when her body gave out at age 87.  We were glad that her body gave out first - I think it was kinder.

Isn't it interesting how many of the bands from 30-40 years ago are still popular?  Something special about 60's and 70's music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
Turning 62 next month, myself! Remember one thing, kids: life is short movie. Get it while you can!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
Isn't it interesting how many of the bands from 30-40 years ago are still popular?

I think that every time I see Bowser doing the Time-Life oldies commercial.  And then it is a 50 year old band remembering 60 year old bands, and kind of like a play within a play.

Is it wrong to veer from Mott The Hoople to Alzheimers to Skip Battin to Sha Na Na?  Not here, and that is why this place is so special.  I will let someone else take us from Bowser to the short movie of life to..I dunno...maybe a Sturmgeschutz III aus G?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Big Fan of Pratchett, damn, I didnt know that. Thx for the info Ken.
Digresion our specialty!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
Early onset Alzhiemers............................. my mom died at 65. I listened to a lot of Mott today, MTH Live  the 30th anv. expanded release being my favorite. Man could Dale and the band rock !

Sorry about your mom, this is a vile and horrendous disease >:(

I had a first cousin die with it at 60ish and she had been diagnosed in her early to mid 50s!

It also took my favorite uncle, same side of the family, but at 83

So far so good for my dad - he just turned 87 and his mind is fantastic - his body is really starting to fail him though.

Still, I'm not thrilled with my odds....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
We can only hope they come up with a treatment !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
In this case I am glad I am adopted.

Wow Scott, did this somehow escape me or did you not mention this before? Looks like we have that in common, too. It's an interesting life...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »
Wow Scott, did this somehow escape me or did you not mention this before? Looks like we have that in common, too. It's an interesting life...
It certainly is ! I was very fourtunate, I have a identical twin brother and back in '59 it wasn't uncommon for twins to be split up, luckily we were kept together. My parents were great............................I miss them a lot they have been gone over 12 years now. George do you have brothers and sisters or did your parents just adopt you ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »
Hey, none of you two ever mentioned that! And you did obviously not turn into sleeping time bomb problematic kids/neurotic adults (well, not more neurotic than is mandatory for this forum) as is currently en vogue in general discussion of adoptions.

It was never a practical issue of decision for me whether to adopt or not. Martina laid off the pill and was pregnant within weeks. But I remember discussions before her pregnancy where I said "if there are fertility issues, let's not go on an odyssey from one fertilisation center to another, but rather adopt some kid".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »
I wonder how many forum members will volunteer to be adopted by Uwe. Not that he owns anything valuable he would want to pass on to his adopted sons.  :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »
I am currently without parents ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
My mother-in-law is called Wendy and was adopted; she was told her twin sister died at birth, so shortly before I met my wife she did her research and found her birth mother... she then discovered that her twin "brother" was alive and well and living on the south coast of England...! Peter (as in "Peter and Wendy" from Peter Pan) was a character; lost him last year... The "twins" were illigitimate, but her "mum" kept her son and gave up her daughter...

Uwe... Scott needs a father figure (even one that may be slightly younger...!)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »
My Wife Cath was adopted. Her adopted Dad was a true gentleman and just a brilliant loving father to her. Unfortunately he died about 10 years ago. Her adopted Mum however has the emotional age of an 8 year old (diagnosed). She (Cath) was psychologically abused for most of her life by her mother. Her Dad kept it in check to a point when he was alive but since then its run out of control to the point that Cath no longer has any contact. It means we have to try and re-try to explain to our son why he doesn't see Grandma.

Cath has been searching for the last year for her biological parents. This is normally a stressful thing to do to start with but taking into consideration the abuse she has suffered (from my perspective) its an even more delicate operation.

Just to keep the conversation going in loops (re Uwe's comment on fertilisation center odyssey) We tried for 5 years, including 2 IVF attempts. Eventually after nearly breaking us apart we decided to try Chinese herbal medicine. Monitored once a week and taking daily the most repulsive liquid goo on earth we were successful after 6 months. Which was the minimum time the doctor told us would be possible. It was just as expensive as IVF but way less stressful and each week we took the goo made us feel better and better. Wish I could afford to keep taking it ;)

And; My Grandmother died after 10 years of care with Alzheimers. I'm sad to say that after 6 years I stopped going to see her because it was becoming increasingly distressing for me and I'm very sure she had no idea I was there. My last visit, I took my son when he was 3 and a half.

Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
When Jackie and me decided to go-for-it, she came off the pill and we both stopped smoking at the same time... pregnant within a month and "she's" now 16... only time we ever got lucky... post a 3rd month miscarriage, and several others prior, we stopped and so our lovely daughter is an only child...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 08:53:23 AM »
My 26 year old was my only child from my first marriage.  Her mom passed 2 years ago.  We'd been divorced for 12 years or so.  When Diana and I decided to have babies she was pregnant within 2 months.  Our first girl was born when we were 36 and our son when we were 38. (We are both 48 now)  We have 3 older daughters between us.  I come from a large family too with 6 sisters and I'm the only boy.  My dad told me when I was 16 that he was surprised I didn't turn out  :gay: with all those girls around.  :mrgreen: