Author Topic: Would you buy a bass just because it looks killer?  (Read 5909 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Would you buy a bass just because it looks killer?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
At least it will work in even the harshest winter temperatures imaginable ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
Ok, a quick update... it arrived a couple of weeks ago from the Ukraine in - get this - a white cotton sackcloth. Seriously, I'm not making this up. The seller has removed the neck, put the bridge, tailpiece, neck plate and screws in a nylon bag, wrapped everything in bubble wrap and cardboard pieces, taped everything together and into a cloth bag, tied with a piece of string. I have never seen anything like it. But it did arrive safely, and in any case I'd have to remove the neck for proper shimming, so all is good. And the post office didn't even charge me V.A.T.

Both pickups work, but I had to put some more work (and $$$) into the bass. I replaced the pots and jack with components that actually work, and added a pickup selector switch. I installed strap buttons (the bass didn't have them) and that was it.

The sound is surprisingly good. The bridge pickup with the tone rolled off gives the expected Jacoesque burp, nice and growly without being too thin (if I keep the tone rolled off). The neck pickup has a nice round, full, warm tone, but with enough high end frequencies. Both are very useful sounds.

The neck is narrow but thick front-to-back, so it feels nice, although the upper frets sprout a little, I'm thinking of getting a tetanus toxoid shot... string spacing at the bridge is too narrow, like Hofners and other European basses of the period. It also balances well on a strap.

And it looks killer. I keep it in the living room as a decoration, and being semi hollowbody it has enough volume unplugged to double as a sofa bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
Bag o' Bass! A new marketing technique! Something Dan Ackroyd would be proud of.

Good for you that it could be brought back to life.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »
Puts a whole new meaning to the expression - "body-bag..."  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
 :mrgreen:
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »
Amazing! :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.