Author Topic: Bon Jovi's bassist  (Read 19853 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: In defense of John Sloman
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »
Ah, he's been listening to a bit of David Coverdale!  :mrgreen:

But I'll give him probation, especially the acoustric track is the nicest I have heard of him.

Some of the songs and singing on "Dark Matter" remind me of Jeff Buckley. Both "13 Storeys" and "Reclamation" continue the style heard on "Fool's Gold".

Coverdale should listen to modern day Sloman or Plant and stop his classic rock nonsense and make a soulful blues album. Featuring no Slash or any other hotshot guitarist :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bon Jovi's bassist
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »
I agree completely. Get a haircut, sing in a lower register and spoil us with his rich baritone. More Tom Jones than Robert Plant.

It's funny, but that is pretty much what Bob Edmands wrote when he reviewed the first Coverdale solo album in 1976, he surmised: "If he could dump his Robert Plant wig and get a slick funky producer, he might even be on to something because he has a voice which deserves to be heard".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
I agree completely. Get a haircut, sing in a lower register and spoil us with his rich baritone. More Tom Jones than Robert Plant.

It's funny, but that is pretty much what Bob Edmands wrote when he reviewed the first Coverdale solo album in 1976, he surmised: "If he could dump his Robert Plant wig and get a slick funky producer, he might even be on to something because he has a voice which deserves to be heard".

If he could have worked with Lowell George like Robert Palmer did and have the Feat guys (or The Meters!) back him up... Nothing against the Newman/Spenner rhythm section on "Northwinds", very funky.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Yup. Brit funky! Even the Murray/Marsden/Paice era WS could not better on (or even reach) the original Blindman version.

I'm still hoping for his realization of the error of his current ways. Into the Light was such a promising album and the haircut (and color!) looked good too. Then he became blond again and all regressive.

It eludes me why he retains the Whitesnake moniker and corresponding era look to a dwindling audience when he could be making shitloads of money singing Sitting on the Dock of the Bay to an aging baby boomer audience. Rick Rubin to the rescue!!!

BTW: David Coverdale played with Ritchie Blackmore once in that band called Gillan I believe. I didn't want to leave that unmentioned.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:47:05 AM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
Uwe, you may be shocked but I'm in compete agreement with you on Coverdale re Love is Blind. I was unfamiliar with it and when you posted it recently I surmised it was new and thought, wow, Coverdale's choosing to grow older gracefully. And he sounds great! Then I saw the date... Oh well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
I'm never shocked when you agree with me! Honored more like.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
Vielen Dank mein Freund.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:49 AM »
Just parted with your beloved 86 TB II at my luthier, a rewinding of le pup seems in order. He was very much taken with it.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts once the pickup is back to its former glory.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
I always liked that sound, it was different to all my other TBirds, a bit brittle, almost metallic and scooped (I sensed that it might not be the "original" sound of that sidewinder), but it gave that bass a lot of piano rrrring, Fender P'ish even. In hindsight, however, that was probably because something was wrong with the pup. By now output has decayed so much, I had to do something.

I read an interview with Dusty Hill some years back where he talked about his beloved old Telecaster bass whose pup sounded like no other. He had boutique replicas made from it with period-correct pups, but they sounded nothing like his bass so he sent them all back. The luthier in desperation finally asked if he could look at Dusty's original pup to ascertain whether it has been customized. It wasn't, it just had a defect in the windings leading to additional distortion so consequently all the replica pups were wound with that defect too.