Author Topic: how to ruin a good weekend!  (Read 5104 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
how to ruin a good weekend!
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
i had a great weekend, my band played an awesome gig on Sat. we played really well, sounded good and the crowd was diggin' us.even met a girl 8)........................then this morning i opened my case only to find...

my '92 3 knob LPB-1 is broken. shit! damn! i've been so bummed all day.its not even a clean break it's cracked like a spiderweb. how the hell did this happen.this puts all 4 of my Gibsons out of commission. at least i hope it works out with the girl.

'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: how to ruin a good weekend!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »

:o

That's really harsh........

Those don't move around in their cases, WTF happened? Fall off it's stand when you weren't looking?
Bummed for ya.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:56:33 PM »
i think i bumped into our singer during our last song.its not pulled apart much just cracked. i didn't notice it until i went to play it again
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
Man that sucks, but the same thing happened to my SG JR. Broke in the case, don't know how it happened. The good news is that it was 40 years ago and once fixed it stayed fixed.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:57:48 PM »
BTW, good luck with the girl.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Explain the situation to the girl, if she shows you some sympathy then you know you are on the right track  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
wow, theres one just like it on ebay for $1700. ? whats that guy smoking? i only paid $360 for mine.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
sympathy is not quite what i'm after. but damnit, the girl's not the important thing here.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
wow, theres one just like it on ebay for $1700. ? whats that guy smoking? i only paid $360 for mine.

That guys an idiot. He's had it listed that high for months. The LP Standards don't even sell for that much. There have been a few like yours on ebay lately, but for a lot more than you paid for yours. Hope you can get yours fixed.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
Ouch! Be sure to take it to someone with Gibson headstock repair experience.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
Nah not sympathy like offering her lace hankerchief to you but like she understands how important a beautiful instrument can be.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »
That's bad. Good luck with it and the girl!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:24:18 AM »
Not amusing when that happens. I suppose it's not cracked through the headstock. An experienced person can fix it nicely but the crack will still be visible. Once fixed you'll get used to it. I smashed off the headstock off my Ripper. I was bummed out for a few hours but started the repair work the day after the break. Now theres only a line visible as reminder and I feel it's more of a history mark to me now.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 04:43:19 AM »
That's not a horrible break. Settle down, no use crying over spilled milk or broken maho. A good luthier will repair this for you (perhaps by injecting some glue without even taking the break apart) and who knows the glued break might still hold when that other relationship might be long forgotten ...  ;)

It could have been the bump with the singer, it might have been an old fissure and then someone bumped the case too hard. Release string tension and bring it to the doctor. Best of luck!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 06:34:09 AM »
That's why I like ones that already have a headstock repair. If you break them again, it doesn't affect their condition or value.

Seriously though, welcome to the club. You can now call yourself a Gibson owner....  ;)