Author Topic: JAE on 8-string Buzzard  (Read 1016 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
JAE on 8-string Buzzard
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »
The last couple of days a lot of topics about 8-string basses appeared here. Some Rickies, the Nonrev-copy and more. Today I found this one:

Never listened to that song a lot, but it's quite good!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: JAE on 8-string Buzzard
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »
Few observations on this:

1. Roger Daltrey once said that if it was for him The Who should only play Townshend compositions. I can now feel for him! Entwistle fumed at the time, but he is no songwriter that could afford a back-to-back comparison with Townshend songs.

2. Having Daltrey and Entwistle sing the whole song together gets tiresome. Did Daltrey not want to leave stage or was Entwistle's voice shot?

3. How ironic, Entwistle certainly had a soft spot for hookers given his untimely demise. Make that hard-on rather than soft spot.

4. The bass sounds like a 4 string, even with Entwistle's brash sound setting the octave strings are swallowed up, an issue with many 8 or more string basses.

5. JE was a great player, but what he does here is lame, no doubt inhibited by the eight string set-up which did not allow his "typewriting" hammering style: He plays root note, a pedestrian pentatonic riff over and over and power chords on bass.  It goes to show that even a great player like he was more limited by the 8-string rather than that it enlarged his musical expression.

6. This vid amply proves that Simon Phillips was the best drummer The Who ever had. That includes Moon the Loon, Kenny Jones and Ringo's son.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: JAE on 8-string Buzzard
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
1. Entwistle has written some nice rock songs. Heaven & Hell, My Wife, The Quiet One, Succes Story, this one... Any mediocre rock band would be very happy with such a songwriter, but it's hard to come even close to Pete's brilliant songs.

2. Daltrey does that a lot and I hate it, cos they never sing in the exact same rhythm.

3. :D

4. & 5. True. When singing his own songs, JAE played a lot more simplistic.

6. I don't like his style. Moon is the best, but I like Kenney and Zak better than Simon.