Author Topic: Carlo Robelli 8 string Opinions Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6637 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Ok guys I have a huge itch for a 8 string and very little $ I really like the look of this. Cool silver sparkle finish, Mahogany LP Jr (early EB0) type body. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Anyone ever play one ? Other low budget options ? http://cgi.ebay.com/CARLO-ROBELLI-8-String-bass-with-Active-pick-up-case_W0QQitemZ360181162136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item53dc786098&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I know I just posted this but anyone have some thoughts ? I don't think I can hold out much longer  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Have seen this?

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Carlo+Robelli/UBD510+8-string/10/1

Looks like they sold at Sam Ash for 300 bones - most of these reviews seem to be fairly good.  Plus, with your "mad skills"  ;D you could easily use this as a platform for something better.  If it stays cheap I would jump on it, personally.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Thanks that was a big help ! Only problem is now I want the blow out price lmao

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I know nothing about this bass. I do know that Carlo Robelli is one of Sam Ash's own house brands.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
This bass goes against my collecting rules, USA or vintage only. But there are always exceptions

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke

chromium

• View Profile
Other low budget options ?

I don't know where they fall price-wise, but those new Hagstroms caught my eye:

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/HB-8.html

I'd love an 8str someday too, but don't want to tie up much money in one - I'll probably only use it for recording here and there.  A couple vintage ones that have been on my watch list are the early-80s Ibanez Musicians and Studio 8s.  Those pop up in the ~$600 range - not terribly low budget, but I bet the build quality is a lot better than the Robelli.  I have a very similar FujiGen-made 4str and guitar.. both are top-notch instruments.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
There is one of those Ibanez Musicians up on ebay right now !

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Considering that you won't be able to utilize it much live - it will only work in just certain songs I'm guessing - the Robelli might fit the bill.  If you hate it you can probably flip at close to break even and if you like it you can mod it.  I would think that SD MM pickup would improve the tone and if you wanted to stay active there are many good options.  Plus, I just like the body style of it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Yeah I luv the body style too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
That wouldn't have anything to do with it being a Gibson-type body shape, would it?  ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
it's a possibility. ;D

chromium

• View Profile
(Re: the Ibanez) Both are a little high, IMO, for the way things are right now.  Its a great time to pick up that early 80s Japanese stuff - selling for peanuts, compared to where they were 1-1.5 years ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-8-string-bass-guitar-with-hard-shell-case_W0QQitemZ290342881604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4399c8c944&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Ibanez-ST-980-Studio-8-string-bass-active-pick-ups_W0QQitemZ250489103822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a525065ce&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

There was one like this on SF craigslist (IIRC) a few months back for around 600, and it was up for a long time even at that price.  They pop up here and there.  Not the flashiest basses, but man is that stuff built well.

If you do end up getting the Robelli, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on it.  I do like the Hamer/EB-0-ish body, and an 8str is hard to resist at that price.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
It is a 10 day auction 2 days left no bids. I bet he doesn't get any bids at $289 opening bid. I'm think'n $250 shipped.