Author Topic: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"  (Read 58024 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Well, this is an exercise in honesty... how not to do some routing...

I needed to work out a pattern, also to match-up something to bring the "wing" height level with the centre... this would also give me a template, post cutting, for the insert...

secured her to the workmate, and made up a template from an old draw base... so far so good...

Whilst setting up the router I made my first mistake, a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake... measured up the depth and forgot to take into account the depth of the "template"... anyway, the initial cutting took place, then I spotted my mistake; also had some trouble maintaining the templates position (secured with double-sided take, borrowed from the "Craft Department" aka Jackie & Roshina).

it was here that I discovered my first gross error...  :sad:

I also decided to put in a 10mm bit, in place of the 6mm bit, to make the cutting easier, prior to making the deeper cut, proving that Rod Stewart was wrong...  :-\

the deeper cut and the insert in place...

Well, this is where it went wrong, again... the insert did not sit in, fully... bugger, bugger, bugger, damn and blast... I do not know where this went wrong, so I checked, and double checked my measurements; oh yeah, I had also fitted 2 small screws to secure the template; I had no more movement on the adjuztment on the router so had to re-locate the cutter... you guessed it, I got it wrong, but this somehow compounded as the depth of cut ended up 1mm too deep, also it somehow ended up deeper towards the outer edge than the inner, by about 0.5mm, and I also slipped whilst cutting, gouging out a small section of body at the left hand side of the lower part of the cut...

"And then, depression set in..." where did I leave my Stanley-knife...?

Well, the veneer came in handy... I cut off the test area and used it to build up beneath the insert: one complete piece, and a partial section towards the lower edge... Titebond on the body, the first partial piece of veneer, the complete piece, then the insert... then clamped in place...

misery loves company... any of the brethern screwed up this badly...?

Well, that's it for today... I'll see what she's like in the morning... family's round tomorrow to see Roshina (prezzies, but she doesn't hit 16 until Tuesday) so may not post until late... If no posting, I'll probably be found hanging (around) in the shed...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:46:36 PM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Too bad, but with the veneer underneath as a shim, maybe the damage is repairable. Let's hope.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »
I don't think it will be so bad, Dave, as it will all disapear beneath the top piece of veneer... I am just p*ssed at myself for making so many basic mistakes, especially for someone that tends to be methodical in his work... as Scott said, "just go carefully and slowly...", so I did, and I still f*cked up...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That felt good... can't even have a drink... on call today and tomorrow, managed to get yesterday and Tuesday covered, and those were the most important days, so all's well with the world...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:02:53 PM by Kenny Five-O »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Looks good - it'll all be hidden beneath the veneer ;)

After having several episodes similar to the one you've just experienced I bit the bullet and bought a router with a micro depth adjustment.  Meaning I could turn a graduated knob on the top of the router and adjust the depth of cut by fractions of a millimeter - for me it was a good investment.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2009, 03:20:36 AM »
Some mistakes, but shit happens. She will be gorgeous in the end!! Keep that in mind!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, boys... Well, a quick bit of work this morning, nipped out to the shops and got some Ronseal wood filler, did some filling, then left 'til this evening...

... and this is the present state of play...

Having some difficulty in tracing "sand-and-seal"... any other name it goes by...? still looking... recommended that this should be my next step prior to putting on the veneer...

I am having a quandry over the "bookend"... there is a distinct pattern within the wood that looks like a "hillside woodland scene" and a crazier side of me is thinking along the lines of the top 2 sections having the "mountain scene", and the lower fin, the "lake reflection", but I think it would be lost on most people... opinions...?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Sand-and-seal is just the common name here, the correct name is Sanding Sealer. It must be available in the UK, I know it's available from Briwax and Rustins. Just make sure the type you pick is compatible with the topcoat.

Looks like you're making progress.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
Yes, Dave is right - sanding sealer is what you're after.  I don't think that I would put sanding sealer on the top prior to setting the veneer - you'll want use the sealer on the mahagony only - unless your veneer is very porous.

As for the veneer I had always assumed that you were just covering the wings and leaving the raised portion natural.  If you want it to match I would think that you are looking at three pieces of veneer - top wing, center and bottom wing.  I know that you have two pieces and so lies the problem.  You will need to seam the veneer in the middle and that will require very precise straight edge and a veneer knife.  I'm fairly certain that the knife is single bevel with the flat side against the straight edge so as not to drift.  You mentioned covering the center section with several individual pieces - I think it would be easier to cover as one strip and then carefully open up your cavites.

Keep up the good work and the pictures - I'm jealous that you get to work on a bass - I'm off for the week building bookcases in wife's library :sad:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »
Found Rustins straight away... most common one is "shellac" based... some further research to find which is best for the top-coats and the staining... cheers Dave...

The reference to the "sealing" under the veneer, Buzz,  was referenced on the "reranch" forum... I'll try and find the links... the "Seam is made more complex because there will require to be two cuts... there is no useable "edge" on the raw material, and it is quite porous; the test sample (now used as shimming material) bled through to the second piece straight away...

I'll probably have to make up a "pattern" to go round the neck area when affixing the centre section, too...

Buzz... I might get jealous... I used to dreeeeeeam of book-cases... (just got my 1st one after 20 years of patience - Jackie's not so keen on my "clutter"...) I'd love my own library...  ;)

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
The good wife has waited 27 years for these things.  The first installation will be 6' wide and 11' tall - with three other walls to follow :sad:  The first wall will keep the wolves at bay for maybe a year - then it'll be 12' of cases to the ceiling :o

Keep up the good fight on the 'bird ;)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
The good wife has waited 27 years for these things.  The first installation will be 6' wide and 11' tall - with three other walls to follow :sad:  The first wall will keep the wolves at bay for maybe a year - then it'll be 12' of cases to the ceiling :o

Keep up the good fight on the 'bird ;)

If you use the  2 piece with the centerline in the middle, line up the edges in the open book fashion(side by side)the way you want the top to look when finished. .put tape across the the seam to keep lined up  & fold like a book . On the end where the tape is holding  the 2 pieces together, place the straight edge firmly over the seam & make your cut . gently remove the straight edge &  pick up the 2 veneers  pinching them together . Now you have an exact mirror edge where the tape was /& cut was made . re open the veneers like a book and slide them together . they should fit like a puzzle piece.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
Wow, just sat down at the computer and look at what I missed!  Don't worry,  I've got at least 4 significant errors as bad as or worse than yours in my 4005 clone.  It's all part of the learning curve!  You've recovered quite nicely.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
Cheers for that, Bill... still going slowly... 2 late ones and off on Friday, maybe... so maybe some work to do, then...

Nice tip, Shadow... how's that Gibbie clone of yours...?

Buzz... Twenty... seven... years...? Life on the edge (of the shelf, that is) ...  ;) It'll look good when it's done, then she should be good until 2036...  ;)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
Nice job plugin' the hole, despite the complications.  I've been using the router fairly regularly with my synth projects (enclosures and stuff), and even still... every time I plug it in seems to yield a new learning experience  ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
The veneer is (mostly) cut...

Today was a nice sunny Autumn (Fall) day, so settled down to some work...

a nice cup of tea, some Foo Fighters' for company, and some "pattern-making"...

... the pattern for the body and head was made with stiff paper...

Her head is not truly symetrical, being slightly wider on the lower edge, also with a greater cut-away from the nut...

... views along the body...

... and the top view, one against a dark surface for a better contrast...

I followed Buzz'  and Shadow' (Mike?) advice and left the central section as complete and "book-ended" as I could... I used a piece of folded steel from an old-wardrobe sliding door, so one edge was folded round on itself and the other an edge to clamp down on the veneer - worked quite successfully... the burl is quite brittle and as you can see, I had one defect on the cut (where it crumbled), so positioned this where the string-tail fits, so not too much of a problem... there is quite a nice pattern starting to show through, although a "bird's face", resplendant with wings, that has appeared will be partially lost as it co-incides with the position of the Mudbucker's inset position... I will cut the head veneer on Sunday, probably book-ended too... spotted a couple of possible "book-end" patterns for her head, which may work...