Author Topic: Peelings. Wo-oh-oh-ooo peelings... (BaCH NR and a stripper)  (Read 38222 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Peelings. Wo-oh-oh-ooo peelings... (BaCH NR and a stripper)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
Probably will sound better with the maple, more like a LP

Funny you should say that. My BaCH sounds more like my maple-less LP than my Fenderbird. Must be construction related. The BaCH and LP are both set necks vs. the bolt-on F-Bird.

That turquoise J-Bass is sweet! Looks a lot like Rickenbacker's turquoise. I've thought about having my Jetglo 4003S painted that color. Sorry, I mean "re-finished with conversion varnish".  :rolleyes:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Now the maho doesn't breathe anymore on those things. I simply knew something was wrong ...  :-\

Just insert a tube in the core and run it out of the control cavity. Problem solved.  :P

Finish influences ... let's not go there!

Continuing Joe's train of thought...  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Funny you should say that. My BaCH sounds more like my maple-less LP than my Fenderbird. Must be construction related. The BaCH and LP are both set necks vs. the bolt-on F-Bird.

I agree that the set neck will make more of a difference. A thin veneer of maple isn't going to change the sound like an actual top of say 1/4" or more.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
I also got some of their amber-tinted clear.  I'll experiment with that on a test piece.  If it doesn't come out looking soylent-green, I might hit it lightly with that.

I tried that wiuth my project eb-0 and I wopuld stay clear of that, unless you can do a perfect tint coat and not worry about leveling it later.

My problem was I got the white flat then the tint, then the clear, but had sand throughs into the tint. because of that you can not touch it up as tint is transparent, you have to start over from the white coat.

I would just use off white.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
I tried that with my project eb-0 and I wopuld stay clear of that, unless you can do a perfect tint coat and not worry about leveling it later.

My problem was I got the white flat then the tint, then the clear, but had sand throughs into the tint. because of that you can not touch it up as tint is transparent, you have to start over from the white coat.

I would just use off white.

That's a good point.  If I did do that, I was planning to bury the amber coat under four coats of clear.... but yeah- what's to say I won't accidentally sand thru that later.  I don't want it to come out blotchy-looking.  Then there's also the question of whether I could lay the amber on evenly to begin with...  I'm a n00b with this stuff - gotta try and keep it simple (famous last words  :mrgreen:)

The good news (and the reason I chose it) is that I think this ocean turquoise color already has a lot of green hue to it anyway - the amber would probably turn it nuclear!  I liked that it falls into that vicinity of aged-pelham-blue-turning-greenish:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
I knew the Bach was heavier than my real NR ! The maple accounts for that.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 07:03:33 PM »
   If it doesn't come out looking soylent-green, I might hit it lightly with that.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »

"Rommelize"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All good if it involves stripping black plastic, but seriously the belt sander would be the difficult way to do that Joe - I used some small Xuron cutters and started at one corner and pulled off big pieces very quickly and was done in no time at all................Sorry Uwe!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
What a great thread. That's gonna be beautiful when it's done!

I've been playing mine all week. It feels so comfortable and sounds great. Best $400 each I ever spent!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
Now the maho doesn't breathe anymore on those things. I simply knew something was wrong ...  :-\

Finish influences ... let's not go there!

A you all know since the new finish will be nitro the bass will sound much better ;D

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:44 PM »
That's a good point.  If I did do that, I was planning to bury the amber coat under four coats of clear.... but yeah- what's to say I won't accidentally sand thru that later.  I don't want it to come out blotchy-looking.  Then there's also the question of whether I could lay the amber on evenly to begin with...  I'm a n00b with this stuff - gotta try and keep it simple (famous last words  :mrgreen:)

The good news (and the reason I chose it) is that I think this ocean turquoise color already has a lot of green hue to it anyway - the amber would probably turn it nuclear!  I liked that it falls into that vicinity of aged-pelham-blue-turning-greenish:

Nitro will yellow on its own in fairly short order - the clear will speed that up. Sand throughs would be real bitch with the amber IMO ;)

I'm also glad that Bach didn't use some type of cat finish - you would still be stripping it :mrgreen:

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 04:20:32 AM »
The title of this thread, reminded me of this;

Nice choice on the Ocean Turqoise btw.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
I knew the Bach was heavier than my real NR ! The maple accounts for that.  ;D

Das ist richtig. Gut observiert.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
If I did do that, I was planning to bury the amber coat under four coats of clear.... but yeah- what's to say I won't accidentally sand thru that later.  I don't want it to come out blotchy-looking.

Thats what I did, and you want it ass smooth, like a mirror so I ended up going through the amber. I had to sand it (tint) all off & start over!

One speck of dust or run, you're screwed with a tint. With a solid you dont have that problem. You better have a perfect dust & humidity free place (you are in AZ right, so that should be good)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
All good if it involves stripping black plastic, but seriously the belt sander would be the difficult way to do that Joe - I used some small Xuron cutters and started at one corner and pulled off big pieces very quickly and was done in no time at all................Sorry Uwe!

I used a hacksaw and a wide, flat head screwdriver. I did a vertical cut at each of the four corners of the pup, then pried the plastic off with the screwdriver. I wouldn't use a belt sander because once you get the plastic off, the remaining epoxy block is perfectly proportioned for a nice tight fit in the NOS 70s chrome cover. You might end up distorting the size/shape with the sander.