Author Topic: something to shoot for.............  (Read 1466 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
something to shoot for.............
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Re: something to shoot for.............
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »
Man, I'd love to have that rig.  I'd never let the soundguy run me through the PA with that on stage with me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:48:54 AM »
ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh  8)

Price please, Bryan...  :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »
i had that same rig with an additional cab and head. way back in the seventies sound city gear was an unknown quantity and did not have the same brand cache' as marshall or hiwatt. therefore they were dirt cheap. they were great amps with either a 4x12 or 2x12 cabs of the same dimensions.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:19:21 AM by nofi »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:35:50 AM »
Posted elsewhere but, Dave Reeves was a designer/builder at Sound City, so... just think of the looks and think Hiwatt...

I had a Sound City amp (back in that era too, Nofi; 100W thouth... first proper head, with 2 old Sound City PA cabs, both upright as opposed to square, with slotted backs - blew them to pieces with my Peter Cook... all I have left is the logo, which used to adorn the old shed), but she died BIG-TIME, post a transformer blow...! The next amp was my present Hiwatt...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
Sound City is a bit of an oddball marque. The early ones were decent amps, but many of the later units were wrought with problems and had a reputation for going up in smoke. Despite the top quality components like Partridge trannies and Mullard tubes, they were commonly referred to as "Sound Sh***y". A guitarist friend (who has a great ear for tone) tried to use one that was the house amp in a club we played at, and dubbed it "the worst-sounding guitar amp I've ever heard".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »
Sounds Sh-tty yep that's what we called them back in the day. My 200 Plus sounds great though. It has been modded quite a bit. Seen here in my rig last year, I now have the name badge installed.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:13:49 PM »
is that a Major? and whadda ya got in those Marshall cabs?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
That is a Major a 1969 , My main amp since '84. recently side lined by Hiwatts. I miss it's sparkle, I think I'll run the Major and the DR201 next gig. The cabs are all Marshall, came with Celestions all blown by now. I have loaded the with Eminance drivers, I like them tons better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird