Author Topic: Fender '66 slab P-basses  (Read 13702 times)

nofi

Re: Fender '66 slab P-basses
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »
sorry to be mr. sunshine again but i can't see a slab reissue working. most people don't know a slab from a tuna sandwich. and there is always the 51 p reissue, the mike dirnt bass and the squier humbucker tele reissue for those who do.  frankly this sounds more like a gibson idea. :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:51 AM »
In Holland I know some guys who ordered a slab body to make their own JAE reissues/tributes. With JAE becoming 65 this year (when he would live) it could be nice. And of course all the parts are there... It would be very easy for Fender Mexico...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »
sorry to be mr. sunshine again but i can't see a slab reissue working. most people don't know a slab from a tuna sandwich. and there is always the 51 p reissue, the mike dirnt bass and the squier humbucker tele reissue for those who do.  frankly this sounds more like a gibson idea. :mrgreen:

You may have a good point. OTOH, I thought the three basses you mentioned wouldn't be successful because they're slabs, yet they seem to have carved out their own market.

The 66 slab Ps are much less well known than the original style P and the Tele Bass so maybe that influenced Fender's decision to go with a CS model.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
I figure for 3 Gs, and presuming a limited run, kind of like the 66 Strats they did, then they have a good idea of the success potential for this.  From a manufacturing standpoint, with almost every part being off the shelf already, it really is a no-brainer/no-effort bass for them.  The main differences are no contouring (so less labor) and throwing a piece of maple in the mix instead of rosewood (a wash as far as labor).  Lollipop tuners and a 64 decal?  Peanuts.  It is like selling a 62 reissue P for twice the money.  Considering how many people would want this bass - myself for one and I haven't bought a new bass since the 80s - they will move them to the market they know is out there.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.