Author Topic: Traynor ?  (Read 4622 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Traynor ?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 05:46:56 AM »
i have a plush "royal Bass" 1060-s. it runs 4 6l6's.but not loud enough.maybe if i have it serviced,it will be louder.it does have a jack for a "slave". also my SVT cab can be split into a 4x10 and a 1x15. it has 4 jacks in back.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 07:12:47 AM »
The one thing you want to know is does "slave " mean just a power amp or another complete head running preamp and power stages.
A lot of old Ampeg stuff was well set up for daisy chaining amps together. My old Ampeg GT-15C has oulets for an "external amplifier" as well as "external speaker". Very simple and very easy to understand, the term "slave " could mean a power amp in which case plugging in another complete head could damage the preamp or something else in the head plugged into that outlet.....I don't know ???

For outdoor gigs or when I used to just get nuts and loud , I would run the 235watt Ampeg to power 4 15" Altecs in two cabs, a 200watt Sunn to power either 2 or 4 more 15" EV SROs a set on the other side of the stage, and a 35-40 watt Gibson Atlas aimed at the drummer. It sounded pretty good but make no mistake, I did some damage to my hearing :sad: So , if you are gonna be messing with a bunch of heavy artillery... take some precautions 8)
I SAID TAKE SOME PRECAUTIONS ... sorry , I couldn't hear myself ;)
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
i have a plush "royal Bass" 1060-s. it runs 4 6l6's.but not loud enough.maybe if i have it serviced,it will be louder.it does have a jack for a "slave". also my SVT cab can be split into a 4x10 and a 1x15. it has 4 jacks in back.

If you want to service the Plush (which, BTW is rated at 110w RMS), you might want to contact Andy Fuchs at Fuchs Audio Technology in Clifton, NJ. Andy now owns the Plush name and is currently producing effects pedals. He has also spent a fair amount of time researching and repairing the old amps, and makes his own killer amp line. He knows his stuff.

Are you maybe underpowering that SVT with the Plush? I've found that vintage heads often sound better through a cabinet design from that period. Ah, maybe it's just me...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:11:08 AM »

this is not my Plush,mine's black but same amp. it has 2 1/4" jacks for main speaker and external speaker. plus 3 RCA jacks. 2 for "slave amplifiers and 1 recording output.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
A popular example of a Traynor amp tone you can check out is Bob Weston from Shellac. He gets that (imo) great tone from an old Traynor TS-50B amp. Of course his Bean bass and EV loaded 1x15 cabs have to do with the overall sound too, but that Traynor is the heart of his sound. Live he uses two 1x15 cabs and runs the Traynor into a power amp to get the volume he needs.

If you like that tone you may want to check out the Tronographic Rusty Box pedal, which is just the preamp from the TS-50B in pedal form. Not as cool vibed as an old head, but pair it with a poweramp it'll give you a very nice tone.