Author Topic: Traynor ?  (Read 4621 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Traynor ?
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »
does anybody know about these?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Traynor ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:15:23 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
do you mind sharing?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:11:07 AM »
Great tube stuff from the 60's-70's made in Canada. If you have a chance to pick one up do so. What model you looking at ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:52:27 AM »
Traynor still exists. They make affordable full tube bass amps.
The YBA200 cost only 750 Euro

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:48:01 AM »
well,i've seen a few different "all tube" ones including the one above.

how do they sound? power? wattage? volume? why are they so cheap?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:24:33 AM by Basvarken »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:24:16 AM »
Sorry I meant to answer in a reply. But I messed up your post by mistake  :o

how do they sound?
From what I've read they're supposed to be pretty good.
Old fashioned tube technology.
4 KT88 powertubes.

power? wattage?
200 watts of tube power. Not comparable to 200 watts transistor power.

volume?
Louder than you will need

why are they so cheap?
The question is, why are other full tube amps so expensive.
Relatively easy to build. Not sure if they're really built in Canada. Perhaps China? Dunno.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »
I can pipe in here and offer some insight as I've been using Yorkville/Traynor gear on and off for years. Yorkville as a company has recently re-branded all their instrument amps and cabs with the Traynor name - why I'm not sure .... brand recognition perhaps? Right now, they've got a standard line-up of cabs including 2x10, 4x10, 1x12, 1x15, 8x8, 8x10 and a 1x15/2x10. Heads are available in a 400W hybrid, 800W hybrid (both with tube pre's) and the all-tube 200W already mentioned. Then there's the combos which range from 10W up to 400W with various speaker configurations. All cabs and combos are loaded with Eminence drivers.

From personal experience I'll say this: Yorkville/Traynor gear is built like a tank and they offer an unmatched warranty. In fact, the last I heard, they'll even go beyond their standard 2 year warranty to keep customers happy. As far as the tones ...... the cabs can't be beaten. I've played everything from SWR to Trace to Eden and I keep going back to Yorkville/Traynor. They bury ANYTHING at this price-point. I can't offer much on the heads as I haven't owned one in several years but I will say that the hybrids (in particular the 800W beast) are loaded with all the bells and whistles you'd see in a much more expensive amp and sound pretty damn good to me (when demo-ing them or hearing them onstage with other bands). When I demoed the 200W all-tube head, I was impressed but not blown-away. It's good but it ain't no SVT. All in all though, I think Yorkville/Traynor is one of the great undiscovered secrets in the bass world. If I wasn't so completely hooked on Ampeg heads, I'd probably have a Traynor to match my 1x15 and 1x12 Yorkies.

Anyway - good luck. Try them all but don't get too overly hooked on the 200W all-tube head. The 800W Dynabass smokes it in terms of power, features and overall tone ...... it's surprisingly "tuby".
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »
Traynor is still made in Canada. Their factory was featured on the "How it's made" TV show.

I had a YBA-200 for a while and was not impressed. It suffered from low volume, I took it to a local shop for warranty repair. They had it for months and tried to get me to pay $180 for the repair. Even after being rebuilt and re-tubed I could not get clean deep bass from it. I was looking for something easier to transport than my Sunn 300t. The Traynor is half the weight, but I'm still humping the Sunn to gigs.

However if you're looking for a gritty overdriven sound it might be just the trick.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
Traynor does have an " International Series" made in China or somewhere else in the far east, but that series consists of their lower wattage solid state amps.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:12:37 PM »
I had one of the early Traynor YBA Bassmasters (older than the one in the picture) mid 60s I guess. I think it was 180 watts or something like that. It was a poor mans Marshall soundwise, but basicly it was a POS. Turn up channel 1 and channel 2 gets louder, real tempermental piece of crap with no chance of a clean sound with the volume above 2. I dumped it as quick as I could.

Within a year or two after I dumped it they started making some really nice powerhouse bass stuff. A friend of mine had a Traynor and an SVT ....... he preferred the Traynor :o

Rick

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »
well i'm more interested in the older stuff.and not interested in playing clean.dirt don't hurt!but i wan't something reliable.and really loud.i have an svt 4X10+1X15 cab and an empty 2X15 cab i can load with the best speakers for the head.i would love an old SVT but too expensive.my solid state SVT sucks.i have my plush but its just not loud enough.maybe if i piggy back it with something else. whats the best way to run 2 heads into 1 cab.should i do this? ??? ???

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
Over at TB there seems to be a love/hate relationship with the newer YBA bass head. The second version (without the wing logo I believe) gets better marks than the first version. I've never tried one tho so I can't say.

Peavey makes a 225 watt all tube head that seems to get good reviews from users. Pricing isn't that much higher than the Traynor. Used prices weren't bad on them. Don't remember what people thought about the ability to get dirty with it tho. The ability to get dirt would be important to me also. I might not use super dirt all the time but I'd want to be able to get it when needed.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 04:33:28 AM »
well i'm more interested in the older stuff.and not interested in playing clean.dirt don't hurt!but i wan't something reliable.and really loud.i have an svt 4X10+1X15 cab and an empty 2X15 cab i can load with the best speakers for the head.i would love an old SVT but too expensive.my solid state SVT sucks.i have my plush but its just not loud enough.maybe if i piggy back it with something else. whats the best way to run 2 heads into 1 cab.should i do this? ??? ???

NO.
Unless your cab is split into two separate halves, running two heads into one cabinet is definitely a no-no. What happens is that one head will see the other's output as a speaker load - not a good thing. HOWEVER, if you have one of Tonebone's head/cab switchers (not cheap), it can be done.
http://www.tonebone.com/tbone-products.htm
Tube bass heads, especially good ones, are expensive no matter what brand you're looking at. Personally, I'm very skeptical of the newer "affordable" stuff because the components are sometimes of less than optimal quality.
If you like growl and grind, and you're on a budget, an old Traynor Custom Special or Super Custom Special is a good move (if you can find one). Far more plentiful is the Ampeg V4/V4B (either will do ya). They are only 100w but I've used them for years in clubs with no issues whatsoever - they are nearly bulletproof. You're in NYC, so once you get one, a quick trip over to Dennis Kager's shop in NJ for a freshening up will get the amp in top form. DK was an Ampeg tech in the old days, and most people consider him to be the top dog with regard to setting up an old 'peg.
Which Plush do you have? Some of those were pretty hefty units, and should be more than enough for your needs.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »

You bring up a lot of good points in running multiple heads together. I did this in the old days but I had a great tech who added all the plug ins to make it safe and easy. I forget the particulars but it amounted to using the preamp from one head and then linking the power stages from all the heads together to act as one. My part was to just plug stuff in to the color coded holes and play. A lot of guys from that era were just daisy chaining stuff together thru speaker outputs or other means and blowing stuff to pieces :o  

Another point you brought up was about the Plush amps. I never owned one but I did get to play them on two occassions in very large rooms, and my recollection of them was that they were some pretty darn strong ass kicking powerful stuff.
Rick
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:44:04 AM by rahock »