Author Topic: Oh wow, if only that were a bass ...  (Read 5467 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Oh wow, if only that were a bass ...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 06:19:10 AM »
Alembics are just $15,000 plywood creations.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 07:03:33 AM »
A plywood construction doesn't make it necessarily a bad sounding guitar. Thinking of the mega-multi-plywood neck on my Kubicki, it probably sounds rather direct, a twangy SG then.

I have one plywood neck bass: the Japanese CBS Triumph copy.
It's the only one I have that is giving me troubles with the neck...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »
Alembics are just $15,000 plywood creations.

I dare ya to say that over at the Alembic forum John.  :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
The name "plywood" means a class of engineered wood products. Lots of different types but certain similarities such as an odd number of plies, alternating grain directions and coming in sheet form.

Just because something is made up of thin plies laminated together doesn't make it plywood.

This is bizarre but it not plywood. Neither are Kubickis or Alembics.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
TBirds have plywood necks and the body is made of three ply with real thick individual components!l
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
The name "plywood" means a class of engineered wood products. Lots of different types but certain similarities such as an odd number of plies, alternating grain directions and coming in sheet form.

Just because something is made up of thin plies laminated together doesn't make it plywood.

This is bizarre but it not plywood. Neither are Kubickis or Alembics.

S: (n) plywood, plyboard (a laminate made of thin layers of wood)

A cross banded assembly of layers of veneer or veneer in combination with a lumber core or plies joined with an adhesive; the grain of the adjoining veneer or plies is approximately at right angles; an odd number of plies is generally used. ...

Multiple layers of wood veneer bonded by an adhesive forming panels of varying thickness.

These work for an Alembic

Butcher block worked for S.D. Curlie's

butcher board: a thick wooden slab formed by bonding together thick laminated strips of unpainted hardwood
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:46:28 AM by Barklessdog »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
I have no problems with laminates.  As long as they're well-constructed and aren't full of air holes, they're basically solid wood and resin. My fretless is a laminate and it sounds great.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:52 AM »
Quote from: Gibson
Input Jack
The Zoot Suit features a ¼” input jack made by Switchcraft. Its super heavy duty construction holds your guitar cable securely in place for a superior electrical connection and tight positive feel.

I would have thought they knew better.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
I'll probably get flamed here but...I have always thought the role of "wood" was overblown in a guitar...especially electric guitars...I've played plywood acoustic guitars that sounded wonderful...others sound like a cardboard cigar box (granted, a solid-wood Martin will be louder than a similar plywood guitar)--I owned a plywood string bass years back that sounded pretty wonderful--with it's pickup, it was the equivalent of any bass.

My Danelectros are pressed board hollowbodies, but they sound pretty good--go figure...

It's all in the individual instrument. Some are good--some suck.

YMMV

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

S: (n) plywood, plyboard (a laminate made of thin layers of wood)

A cross banded assembly of layers of veneer or veneer in combination with a lumber core or plies joined with an adhesive; the grain of the adjoining veneer or plies is approximately at right angles; an odd number of plies is generally used. ...

Multiple layers of wood veneer bonded by an adhesive forming panels of varying thickness.

These work for an Alembic

Butcher block worked for S.D. Curlie's

butcher board: a thick wooden slab formed by bonding together thick laminated strips of unpainted hardwood

Whatever. If you were a manufacturer and you sold a laminate constructed like an Alembic or like this new Gibson guitar as "plywood," you'd be facing an injunction from the FTC. No matter what your dictionary says. Manufactured wood products have legal definitions just like other manufactured products.

But even so I don't see anything in your definition that applies to Alembics. They have some veneer layers in between boards, that's not the same thing as built up layers of veneers.

And ask any butcher or professional chef, the real butcher block actually used to cut meat always has the grain running perpendicular to the top, with the end grain exposed.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »
constructed like an Alembic or like this new Gibson guitar as "plywood," you'd be facing an injunction from the FTC.

I was just curious as to what the definition of plywood was and got those results.

Who knew there were plywood police?

Are they like Soup Nazi's?

No Plywood for you!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Looking further-

http://www.answers.com/topic/plywood

Plywood may be made from hardwoods, softwoods, or a combination of the two. Some common hardwoods include ash, maple, mahogany, oak, and teak. The most common softwood used to make plywood in the United States is Douglas fir, although several varieties of pine, cedar, spruce, and redwood are also used.

There are two broad classes of plywood, each with its own grading system.

One class is known as construction and industrial. Plywoods in this class are used primarily for their strength and are rated by their exposure capability and the grade of veneer used on the face and back. Exposure capability may be interior or exterior, depending on the type of glue. Veneer grades may be N, A, B, C, or D. N grade has very few surface defects, while D grade may have numerous knots and splits. For example, plywood used for subflooring in a house is rated "Interior C-D". This means it has a C face with a D back, and the glue is suitable for use in protected locations. The inner plies of all construction and industrial plywood are made from grade C or D veneer, no matter what the rating.

The American Plywood Association identifies several grades of product. Plywood is designated group 1 when made from northern-grown Douglas-fir, western larch, and such southern pines as loblolly and longleaf, or other woods noted for their strength. Plywoods in groups 2, 3, and 4 are made from woods of successively lower strengths. Consequently, group 1 plywood offers the greatest stiffness, group 4 the least.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
It's serious business. Buildings have collapsed because of misgraded wood products, like something being rated as structural that wasn't.

And besides, would you want to live or work in a building where the subfloor was made from Zoot Suit SGs and the roof beams were made from Alembics?

S.D. Curlee countertops, well, maybe.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »
I shall enjoy my Rib eye steak with single vineyard Shiraz (Henschke of course) whilst you gentlemen should do the same with your mince meat and Blended Red.

Afters shall consist of Glenfarclas single malt scotch. The Grants red label will be served to you on ice.
 ;D
Digresion our specialty!