Author Topic: Late EB-3s ...  (Read 10339 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Late EB-3s ...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »
You all are and always will be a bunch of hopeless reactionaries. I feel like preaching gun control at an NRA Convention!

And to add injury to insult: I like that South Park or whatever it is string-thru greeny-whitey EB-3!  :P

Provoke me further and I'm gonna BIN that sucker!  :mrgreen: ;D

I think it has nothing to do with reactions but if you want to get an vintage EB-3 today, do you want a homoginized version or the real deal?

If you want a compromise, why not get a SG reissue?

If I were to get one now and wanted a real deal, but affordable, I would get a slot head over a late 70's one anyday.

Just my opinion.

If you ever come to Chicago I can take you out for some "light beer"!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
But I have a slothead EB-3 and three SG-RIs already!!! Plus assorted similar basses ...

Always wanted a late EB-3 ..., maple neck, more transparent varitone options, three point bridge, yummy!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:12:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
Like that green Newport!

Here's another slightly modded EB

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
Like that green Newport!

Here's another slightly modded EB-3

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
But I have a slothead EB-3 and three SG-RIs already!!! Plus assorted similar basses ...

Always wanted a late EB-3 ..., maple neck, more transparent varitone options, three point bridge, yummy!

You might as well pick up the red one then.

Amazing shots and the basses look brand new. Who has to dust all of them?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
Mark, in his French maid costume.  :rimshot:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
I am of two minds on these.  Thinking of them as a late EB-3, they are horrendous.  I hate the spring loaded mid position mudbucker with testosterone drop, the mutant body contour and shape, the weeny pickguard, and the zenith of ish - the three point: all bad times.  Now, if I think of them as a different thing entirely, say an EB-3.75, then I like them for what they are.  They are not a refinement of the original EB-3, but they are wandering of thought from the center.  I like them almost as much as an EB-4, or those goofballs with control plates and black pups.  But the other problem for me is that for most of my bass-hoarding life span the venerable pre-slothead EB-3 was a $300 or less bass - mostly less.  A 70s example, even in rare white, was no more a "can't give it away" Gibson bass, but far less desireable.  At the same period that was being peddled new, a really fun new thing like a Sting Ray bass was more hip to me and most people.  A more Fender-like Ripper or Grabber was in the same cheap used ballpark, and a 50s EB-1 or EB-2 was less, so why bother?  Now, these things may be going for a couple of thousand now, and that may seem cheap compared to other things, but I just don't pay or play that way, so the stigma remains.  In the Gibson bass world, for me, 70s EB-3s are like fat girls and AMC Pacers - fun but you wouldn't want any of your friends to see you riding one.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
If you wanna feel ok about buyin' that lovely aged white EB3 just pretend you're a lefty cuz that's what leftys usually go for.  :rolleyes:

You rightys are lucky mofos! that '76 for 1k is a beaut.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
70s EB-3s are like fat girls and AMC Pacers - fun but you wouldn't want any of your friends to see you riding one.

Now you're going to offend Hornesse. He think he still owns a AMC Hornet?

I saw a GM dealer with an old AMC Eagle in a dumpster for their new cash for clunkers sale.

but they are wandering of thought from the center.

Ironically close as possible to center.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
if I think of them as a different thing entirely, say an EB-3.75, then I like them for what they are

I agree, I like mine for what it is and it's served me well.  I bought it used from a friend in '76 or '77 and it was much better sounding than the ripper it replaced.  at the time I was 17 and never even considered the differences between a 60's & 70's EB-3, so for me it was just a better sounding bass and I loved the short scale.  I liked it for what it was and bought it.  mostly I played rock and I was always able to get it to sound good in the mix, which made me happy.  8)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
You really do need to BIN it to give it a fair review.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
... and the zenith of ish - the three point:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »
Now you're going to offend Hornesse. He think he still owns a AMC Hornet?

I think you're more likely to offend Hornisse by comparing a Pacer to a Hornet.  ;)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »
i prefer the looks of the 60s eb3s and im sure they are fun to play however for me having a long scale with the  mudbucker where it is on my modified  1972 eb4l(1966 eb3 mudbucker), i think that this gives the tone more focus -although to me it looks 'wrong'- and the maple neck imparts some attack for sure.i guess the closest model to my franken4ter would be a late model eb3l.love to try one of those.though its probably not going to be a 1979 eb3l because it seems they only made 5 .i even prefer the 3 point bridge for its feel and sound over the 2 point tiltomatic that was on  there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:09:07 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

barend

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
You have to buy that cherry one, because I want some sound samples of a late 70's EB3.

I like the looks of the 60's ones better. But I think the placement of the neck pickup is much better on the 70's ones. I had a '68 EB3 and it sounded just too muddy for my taste and therefore a I only used the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup sounded really good and very usable clear sound with still enough bass in it. (Bruce, Fraser type of tone).
You can check it on: http://www.myspace.com/troublemgnet

The first song is the EB3, the second is played on a G3.

The bridge pickup of the '68 EB3 sounded much better than the bridge pickup of the SG RI I once had.

I wander how the bridge pickup sounds on a late '70s EB3. And also how the neck pickup sounds.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:51:45 PM by barend »