Author Topic: Witnessed a homicide today  (Read 3860 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Witnessed a homicide today
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
A bit numb from the experience. While on my lunch break sitting in my van a domestic altercation got out of hand, or was already out of hand by the time it spilled into the street. Might have been 50 feet from my vantage point. I am trying to process just what I have witnessed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:50:13 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Witnessed a homicide today
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
Man, that's bad. Must be having quite an impact on you. All the best, take care!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
Wow Scott, I'm sorry you had to see that... I hope you can process it and put it away without too much trouble.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
Around the world people die and or killed every day, in horrible ways, often for no reason. I know this. I have never witnessed it first hand.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:29:45 PM »
I witnessed a suicide once, and know what you are talking about.  I sat in a coffee shop for about an hour after and just couldn't process much of anything.  It has been 15 years, and I can still remember the thing the same - the sounds, the color.  You do get back to "normal" as you get back to doing what you do, but you will be in a weird place for a while.  But it is true and it did help to think that there are people who see that every day, and veterans who saw tons of it. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
At the ripe old age of 17 I watched a guy take 5 slugs from a 357 being fired about 7-6 feet away. Oh yeah, I was an arms length away from the guy getting shot. The police had the shooter before he could get off the 6th round, there were cop cars present the entire time. We were waiting to get into a concert at the Eastown Ballroom in Detroit. When you're that close , I think it's actually a lot harder to deal with than when you're standing back a way with a birds eye view.
When you're in the picture , you don't really see the picture. You just thank God it wasn't you and move on.......... and that would be my advice to you also.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »
Excrement happens, and then you die... read on...

I don't preach, and I am not a church-goer; I have never witnessed and never wish to witness such a thing, but as a driver with well over a million miles under his belt I have witnessed enough carnage to know that there but for the grace of God go I, and I have walked away from one I should not have...

A piece of advice from beyond the grave... I am sorry to say this as you live in a country where many can freely carry arms, and as it is becoming more common here, through illegal weapons, but I am often reminded by something my late father said to me years before I started writing up his stories...

"A person who does not believe in God has never been in fear of his life; I believe in God; there are no aethiests on a battlefield..." Kenny Stewart Senior

Not an easy one, Scott; I can only hope you sleep well, as that is when you are going to "process" this, and tomorrow is a brand new day; have a word with "the BIG man", wish the departed on their way, ask for protection for your loved-ones and nothing for yourself other than peace, leave the rest in his hands...

I do not believe in "God", but I believe that there is more to life than this...

My thoughts are with you...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
That is rough - sorry you had to see it.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »
I guess no matter how much violent death we see on the news & in movies it's still shocking to see right before your eyes!!  :o
Lots of sympathy.
Still, as a typical American with a morbid fascination with death I wanna hear details.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:25:14 AM »
I saw my mother die before my eyes two years ago - or what was left of her - but that was a mercy death and I was relieved that it was over. As a teenager, I witnessed a car accident that had happened seconds before on a road in Zaire, one passenger was decapitated and I was surprised how much blood with how much force was pumping out of his neck, it sprayed through the broken windows of the car several yards into the street. The image has stuck with me, but more as a fascinating phenomenon than as anything disturbing - generally, I'm not uncomfortable around dead people (if they are not loved ones or their death a surprise), I noticed that when I once witnessed a pathologist at work thinking to myself "I could probably do that if had studied medicine".

But what you have witnessed, Scott, is entirely different due to that sudden violence component. We see violence on TV and in movies all the time, we're saturated with it, but seeing someone get hit on the nose with it starting to bleed in real life is a different experience to seing a gruesome scene in some splatter movie where my mind is constantly feeding me "this is only make-believe" (I could never bring myself to watch a real snuff scene, I don't even like to watch boxing). I think it is a good thing that we are all (or most of us) able to make that distinction. So I hope this doesn't work too long in you, Scott, but there is no reason to deplore that you are feeling what you are feeling right now either. Good guy. Write a song about it.

Uwe  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:46:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
Wow, those kinds of thing are indescribable. Sorry you had to witness something like that.

While driving on vacation through Indiana, we witnessed a horrible motorcycle accident that had just happened, the police were already there and they had blankets over the bodies. There was steam still coming from the motorcycle engines. Luckily my kids were asleep at the time.

The crazy part is a week later someone at my wife's job, a woman that my wife knows came back to work after a leave of absence. It turned out her brother in law died in a motorcycle accident in Indiana. It turns out he was one of the victims. Just crazy.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »
I think all I can say at this point is I was at work sitting in my van eating lunch. Across the street from me a domestic spilled out in the the street. A young man (29 I later learned) was feibley trying to get away from a woman who was walking after him. I thought he was drunk. Lots of yelling and screaming on her part, I could not hear what was being said my windows were up and the AC on.They traveled a distance of about 25 -30 feet, they grappled he had his hand on her throat, it was at that point I knew this wasn't just a spat. They seperated and walked a few feet then he was down in the middle of the street and she was on top of him. He was stabbed in the neck, I don't know if that happened out side or in the house.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »
Thinking of you Scott. I've experienced death at close quarters a few times in various forms. Deal with it as you feel you need to mate. My only advice (FWIW) is not to ignore it. We are all different.
Digresion our specialty!

nofi

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
at this place i used to work i had to clean up after  a shotgun slaying (shot in the face) but it really did not bother me. ???  i also found a couple of dead by  natural causes persons on the premises. even so it's always a sad thing.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:06:19 AM »
Egads Scott, that's awful.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  It's very sad how people handle their problems these days.  Be careful out there!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!