Author Topic: Non Reverse 8 string  (Read 7384 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Non Reverse 8 string
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:10:46 AM »
 I bought this neck to go on my LP Triumph body but it doesn't look like it will fit but it will be perfect for my 8 string NR I am building !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Non Reverse 8 string
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:10 AM »
Cool idea!  You better hurry, Joe's working on his too!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:57 PM »
That's gonna be a sweet bird! I love that headstock on a Thunderbird.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »
It was Joe's idea that I snag one of these for the 8 string, I bought it for the Triumph body.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
So far on my Korina NR Thunderbird II 8 string bass, I have my ebony fingerboard glued on, the neck slot and pickup route done at work on the CNC machine, headstock tuner holes drilled and am waiting for my new tech to route the control cavity, install the frets and dots and put it together. I asked if he could get it done by August. After it's together, I'll play it, test it out...then dismantle it for a few coats of  Original Gibson Valspar yellow tinted Nitro clear. I have a black/white/black  pickguard .60 from Chandler (Scott, I'll need to speak with you about a mod on my pickguard) and one NOS 90's Gibson Orville chrome (almost 10K). Dr. Bassman got me a T Bird blank tailpiece that i am going to mill 8 slots in (soon as i figure out the dimensions) to go with my Hamer 8 string bridge, and schaller tuners. Should look like an old Korina Explorer or flying V when it's finished. Scott...Yours will be kick ass but make sure you put a t bird pickup and an 8 string bridge that has a bridge and separate tailpiece for ULTIMATE sustain.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:13:29 AM »
As an FYI I used  sheet rock mud to fill grain in my Moderne. That is how I was able to dye the mud yellow to imitate the Korina color using Maho. Sounds like an awesome project.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:32:27 AM »
So far on my Korina NR Thunderbird II 8 string bass, I have my ebony fingerboard glued on, the neck slot and pickup route done at work on the CNC machine, headstock tuner holes drilled and am waiting for my new tech to route the control cavity, install the frets and dots and put it together. I asked if he could get it done by August. After it's together, I'll play it, test it out...then dismantle it for a few coats of  Original Gibson Valspar yellow tinted Nitro clear. I have a black/white/black  pickguard .60 from Chandler (Scott, I'll need to speak with you about a mod on my pickguard) and one NOS 90's Gibson Orville chrome (almost 10K). Dr. Bassman got me a T Bird blank tailpiece that i am going to mill 8 slots in (soon as i figure out the dimensions) to go with my Hamer 8 string bridge, and schaller tuners. Should look like an old Korina Explorer or flying V when it's finished. Scott...Yours will be kick ass but make sure you put a t bird pickup and an 8 string bridge that has a bridge and separate tailpiece for ULTIMATE sustain.
I have a Lindy Fralin Bassbucker that I am going to use for now, it will be routed for a Thunderbird pup under the guard. Color ? Pelham blue. My last name in mop script on the headstock.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
As an FYI I used  sheet rock mud to fill grain in my Moderne. That is how I was able to dye the mud yellow to imitate the Korina color using Maho. Sounds like an awesome project.M

I've heard of that being done.  I needed black filler, Stickley repro piece, and bought the dark filler and tinted with black artist oil paint - looked liked 90 year old black paste wax.  The filler wasn't cheap and the paint was about $5 a tube - you method was most likely a lot cheaper.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
what about one of those Mike Lull bird pickups????????

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »
what about one of those Mike Lull bird pickups????????
No gots 300 bucks right now ! The Lindy is in the parts box !

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Just a note for those who missed it, we had a thread last fall about pore filling with drywall compound, along with Robbie O'Brien's video: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1344.0

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 05:53:45 AM »
Good one Dave, I was just thinking about it when Mike mentioned it on his Moderne project.  A good method for sure.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »
..... and very easy to sand!!!!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »
I'm gonna try it sometime too on a future project.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »
Well, I saw my Korina 8 string today. The neck is glued on. My new repair/luthier guy Geoff Benge  guy is going to start doing the frets, nut, control cavity and assemble it!!!! But the only pics I have are on my phone!!!!!