Author Topic: Start your engines...  (Read 3128 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Start your engines...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
Word up!

Speaking of checking, I was severley out-bid but the thing didn't meet the reserve.  I thought a bit more than $3Gs would have happened, but welcome to the new economy.  Prices are dowwwwwn.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:43 AM »
Word up!

Speaking of checking, I was severley out-bid but the thing didn't meet the reserve.  I thought a bit more than $3Gs would have happened, but welcome to the new economy.  Prices are dowwwwwn.

The one that went for $3900 last month was an anomaly, and I think people are assuming that the market is up on these.  I'm still of the opinion that $2500-3000 is the cap for these.  The mention of one priced at $7000 (taking bets that it's Chicago Music Exchange on that one) is outrageously out of line.  The seller of this Embassy should have taken the $3050.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Agreed. I figured his reserve was probably 3.5-4K and that it wouldn't be reached. But if he really wants to sell, the market will teach him what it's really worth.

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »
Scott Silver owns Chicago Music Exchange and his prices are generally top of the top of the top. maybe it's a place to start negotiating. Since prices are shifting so much and so quickly some high end/volume dealers of vintage gear are resorting to super high asking prices so they don't get caught below a price surge. That being said...'Yeah Right...$7K for an Embassy...you are dreamin' ;-))

Maverick Music has had what they call a 1962 Epiphone Rivoli (actually it is a 1964) for $5995 for months & months. Too much money plain and simple...then again he almost sold it for that. Key word being 'almost...didn't happen. The again, I have not seen a solid clean 1964 or earlier Rivoli for sale publicly for quite a while.

I think really highly of 60's Embassy basses and so I think they are worth between $3-4K. I think they sound better than Thunderbirds and are clearly somewhere in the vicinity of half the price. They have TONE! But I'm prejudiced having discovered them when I was 18 years old...had one since 1970...they are great basses & I am old!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
I would think an original and un-cracked Embassy is so rare, and kool, that they should be in the $5g range.  T-birds are relatively common in comparison and Gibson bass fans being as peculiar as they are, the name on the headstock shouldn't matter a bit.  But that is me, and vintage dealers are different and name means more.  I am old enough, and passed on my first Embassy around the tail end of the Carter administration.  I have passed on at least 5 times as many Tbirds - I never learn - but always felt the Embassy was a better balanced bass, with a lighter, if not more fragile, feel.  And real nice tone.

Chicago Music used to have a very early natural Ravioli with banjo pegs as I recall, back when they were on Clark.  Back then maybe they were asking a few grand.  Way too much then, but only time I saw one that old.  The had an EB0 for years with some freaky owner-modified banjo pegs for a few grand more than everyone else.  That being said they were always more reasonable than the Mandolin Brothers out on Fantasy Island, and Gruhn on everything but Gibson basses. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.