Author Topic: Found a Ripper, decisions, decisions  (Read 10280 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Found a Ripper, decisions, decisions
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »
That's the exact kind of Ripper I've wanted for ages. You did good!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
But you had a Ripper pickguard once before bequeathing it to someone else, I remember! If you had been more patient, it might have grown into a complete one.

Which reminds me: How is that truss rod of that SB 300 doing? Has it repaired itself yet?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:53:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
That pickguard went to Aussie Mark. I have a plank of an Ibanez Ripper (which had a tort guard and two rusted green mudbuckers) awaiting rehab though. The maple is discolored in a few areas on the neck so I'm not sure what to do with it.

As for the SB400, with a slightly lighter set of strings the neck settled down and, satisfied with the action, I moved on to other things. I still don't know whether the truss rod is actually broken or only that it can't be adjusted any tighter (two washers already having been installed). I'll eventually get around to painting and customizing the bass (new bridge, but the pickups stay; I like how they sound), but the EB3L gets the Les Paul treatment first (pickups and bridge off eBay a few years ago, along with a cool headstock overlay off eBay even longer ago). I'm thinking the Warwick bridge might not work though. On a short scale it'd fit, of course, but on the long scale I don't know that there would be any room left for the tail piece at the end of the body. If not, I'll get a the chrome Hipshot 3 point replacement.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Didn't that pickguard go to Steve Barr first and then he sold the thus refurbished Ripper to Aussie Mark? I seem to remember that vividly.

Speaking of Steve (and not wishing to turn this into a Dudepit thread), what's he doing now?

Could also be the trussrod anchoring on your SB by the sound of the symptoms. I had an SG-Z like that, the wood was so soft, the anchoring would eat its way through the neck as you added washer after washer. Had to have the board taken off and a biflex rod installed eventually, heck of a repair that was, especially as the trussrod channel had hardly a curve angle (which probably caused the problem with the torn out anchor in the first place).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:36:50 AM by uwe »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
Speaking of Steve (and not wishing to turn this into a Dudepit thread), what's he doing now?

That is a question I always wanted to make.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Didn't that pickguard go to Steve Barr first and then he sold the thus refurbished Ripper to Aussie Mark? I seem to remember that vividly.

I think you're right. That does sound familiar... My brain is filled with so much useless information that there's no room in there for actual memories or helpful knowledge.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
Aussie Mark is a member here if you want to PM him, just don't ask him about anything that involves Steve Barr. IIRC he sold many of his basses including his Gibsons when he moved back to Oz.

There are certain subjects we should just let rest to avoid controversy, and Steve is one of them.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »
Denis- you cleaned up on that Ripper!  Awesome score. 

Black has always been my favorite color on those...  8)

Hornisse

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »
Great score on a nice bass!  I had a black one years ago that I sold to Shadowcastaz. 

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
I knew we had some dealings in the past. Great memory. That  bass was awesome . I am a sizeable person , to say it in a  polite way.( I guess)  It felt right and looked right.  I liked the sound with the TI flats.
I had to thin the herd.Which reminds me, I need to thin again . This unemployment is gettin old and gettin thin,(GULP)
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
Congratulations! Good deal  8)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 06:59:10 PM »
Like mine! Congrats!!! Mine has 80701047 as the serial no, what is yours?

Mine is 80161043.

Thanks for the kind remarks all! I've been playing around with the selector switch and combining it with the pickup adjustments, the ole Ripper sure can put out many different sounds and tones. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with it more and seeing what I get out of it.

Honestly, the Ripper is one of the only basses or guitars I like in all black.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »
Cool!  January 16, 1981 Kalamazoo made bass.  Like Uwe, I like the later dated Rippers although I really did love my old '73.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:52 AM »
I have a 73/74 early Ripper too. If truth be told, I like that even better than my 1981, but that is not down to overall quality but certain characteristics such as maple board (which adds attack to the Ripper's otherwise docile nature) and a Daniel/Doombass inspired mod (one pos of the varitone now features the neck pup in solo mode, something not available on a stock Ripper).

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »
Cool!  January 16, 1981 Kalamazoo made bass.  Like Uwe, I like the later dated Rippers although I really did love my old '73.

Hey, that's cool to know! I was wondering if it was made in Kalamazoo, so thanks for looking that up. Were all Rippers were made in Michigan?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.