Author Topic: Epiphone Embassy Bass project - anyone seen them in colors besides cherry ?  (Read 10450 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Embassy Bass project - anyone seen them in colors besides cherry ?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »
I used to think my now green Newport was formerly pelham blue. But then I began to doubt my assumption because even parts that were never exposed to sunlight were of the same shade of metallic green. The green is perfectly even everywhere. Still, it might be an explanation of what became of all those pelham blue Newports over the decades.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
Like EB2 says: It could be a chemical thing instead of sunlight? That would explain the yellowing of every part of the body. I'm no expert so I'm just guessing too.

I have a lot of guitar books. One of them is called The ^0s Guitar Book or so, edited buy Tony Bacon I guess. Or Paul Day. One of those gurus. In it a blue-turned-to-green SG.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Inverness Green and aged Pelham Blue don't look anything like Fender's Seafoam Green to my eyes.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
They don't.  Inverness Green and Pelham Blue are both metallic though, so they could look like Fender LP blue.  That turns green a lot, like the Pelham Blue, and when it goes green you are hard pressed to see it as something that started blue.  Calling it seafoam is not accurate, but calling it "aqua" would be better.

Fender seafoam is a regular opaque color, and I don't think Gibson ever offered anything like it.  The closest they got was the Kalamazoo baby blue, which is not green at all.  But if you top-coated it with a tinted yellow it would get seafoam-y pretty quick.

Very Fender-ish, I know, but the custom color stuff really is their baby.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
Fender seafoam is a regular opaque color, and I don't think Gibson ever offered anything like it.  The closest they got was the Kalamazoo baby blue, which is not green at all. 

In addition to that frost blue color, I've also seen "kerry green" - which looked kinda like Fender's surf green (opaque, non-metallic - but lighter hue than seafoam).

I think the Embassy would look good in a number of these colors.  I like that Sunset Yellow too.  There was one on Ebay a while back (a project Newport? if I recall) that had a color like that in all of its creases and cavities.  Not sure if it was orginal, but I wouldn't be too hung up on that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:43:51 PM by chromium »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »
The one on Ebay was from a theater group that had mangled it as a prop to make it look like a work in progress.  Even the guy that was selling was appalled.   :o
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
In addition to that frost blue color, I've also seen "kerry green" - which looked kinda like Fender's surf green (opaque, non-metallic - but lighter hue than seafoam).

I think the Embassy would look good in a number of these colors.  I like that Sunset Yellow too.  There was one on Ebay a while back (a project Newport? if I recall) that had a color like that in all of its creases and cavities.  Not sure if it was orginal, but I wouldn't be too hung up on that.

Hey Joe - actually the Kerry Green is a weird color - the Firebird below is Kerry Green - its mine and is missing most of the topcoat because I had to wet sand a mural off of it back about 12 years ago when I got it (in a pawn shop .. for $425 ...).

I know everyone is going to say "thats not green - its blue" - but the Gibson equivalent of Fender's Sonic Blue was Frost Blue, which has a much colder grey-blue hue to it than Fender's color - and no yellow tint to it at all.   You're correct that Gibson's Kerry Green is closest to Fender's Surf Green, though Gibson's color has more blue in it than Fender's color.

If I had a Frost Blue Firebird I'd put em side by side, but the supply of cheap custom color Gibsons seems to have dried up ... ;D

Back to the Epiphone colors - I think they may have had their own entire "palate" of colors - there is no gibson equivalent to the Sunset Yellow - which is a crazy bright opaque yellow nor to the Coral color - which is more of what I'd call a "76 Ball Orange" (like the gasoline company).  I've seen Epi guitars in person in both those colors and they are intensely bright.  But then again - I bet for $25 Gibson would grab a spraygun from the Gibson side of the spray shop and spray an Epi whatever you wanted.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Interesting...that does look like a greened-out sonic blue.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Nice NR. I bet that's worth some money now.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I know this is an old thread, but I found a pic of Tom Petersson that shows off the color of his Embassy a little better (less colored lighting).

Also, here are a few NRs in different colors:

I know the chart was already posted, but this bigger one gives some nice detail.

I know some of these aren't original colors, but they're still pretty cool.