Author Topic: Jaw-Dropping Video  (Read 1938 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Jaw-Dropping Video
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »
Near my home town in eastern Washington, there is a geologic feature called Palouse Falls.  A few million years ago, glacial floods formed a series of waterfalls along the Palouse River before it entered the Snake River. Palouse Falls is 198 feet high and is the only one of those falls that remains today. In a rock-rimmed circular theater, the river takes a huge plunge into a deep green pool, creating one of the most spectacular sights in the state.

So wouldn't you know, some goof in a kayak just HAD to tackle that massive drop in spring when the waters run their highest?  I have watched this multiple times and I can't believe he survived - just broke his paddle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/si_video/2009/05/13/0905.palouse.SportsIllustrated/index.html
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Jaw-Dropping Video
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »
Remind me to get a T-shirt printed with "I'M NOT WITH STOOPID" emblazoned on the front...  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Kinda reminds me of that line in "Finding Nemo" - "you've got some serious thrills issues dude..."  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

I jumped out of a plane once, a Cessna 162 (which I'd never heard of at the time - looks like a 172...). We had to climb out and hang onto the wing strut and crouch with one foot on a wheel plate, with the other leg dangling, then look at the jumpmaster and await the order...  only from 2,600 feet... tethered... only 6 seconds of freefall before the chute opened, but a cool memory... once only... no money for more and I don't think the back would be up to it 25 years later... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
Five bucks says he crapped his pants ;D

He is one lucky, but very stupid, bastard.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »
I have seen these falls and watched them with the spring runoff is going over them.  They are even MORE impressive in person.

Don't try this at home.  Don't try this in this UNIVERSE!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
 Washington state geography............ ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:18:24 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:54 AM »
That is nucking futz!  :o

Just got in touch with my Best Girl Ever after losing contact for a few years & she's into skydiving now! wow
Guess she had to get into Extreme Thrillseeking after living with me for a year. heh
Trying in vain to come close to the Intense Thrills of our nuptial bliss. LOL
It was GREAT to hear her voice & hearty laughter & giggling today on the phone.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:23:31 AM »
Nucking Futz Indeed!!
This guys balls must weigh considerably more than his brain.
Rick

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:09:42 AM »
big brass ones. pure glory. i jumped a 25 foot cliff on a snowboard, this guy puts that to shame.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »
big brass ones. pure glory. i jumped a 25 foot cliff on a snowboard, this guy puts that to shame.

I hear ya. Many years ago I had a reputation for a lot of daredevil/idiot stunts that still get talked about once in a while. No sense mentioning any of them in this thread. I never did anything like this guy in my freakin' dreams.
Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
I made it on the national mountaineering team 3 times and spent 10 years climbing high altitude mountains including the highest mountain on 3 continents.

But this guy is crazy!  ???
Digresion our specialty!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »
Dear God, I am getting tired of these Xtreme sports retards.  And why do they all talk that gnarly Jackass/Grateful Dead fan accent crap?  Dude. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
No thrill seeking here... I'll stick to my writing...

Bret... your nutz too...  ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »
eb2 you are sooooo not with it man.  ;)   You gotta type "Dood" if you wanna be cool these days  ;D

But you are right retard fits the bill for this guy.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
Bret... If I remember my geography, you would HAVE to go out of "God's Own" to get a high altitude mountain, wouldn't you...?  ;)

In a Clint Eastwood voice... "Hey Hann, done any 'wet-work' lately...?"

Sir Ranulph has just made it up Everest at 65, what are your top peaks, Mr B...?

Anyone else done anything really dumb, not that it will top the origin of this post...?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »
Bret... If I remember my geography, you would HAVE to go out of "God's Own" to get a high altitude mountain, wouldn't you...?  ;)

In a Clint Eastwood voice... "Hey Hann, done any 'wet-work' lately...?"

Sir Ranulph has just made it up Everest at 65, what are your top peaks, Mr B...?

Anyone else done anything really dumb, not that it will top the origin of this post...?

Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Feinnes is an amazing guy. Very good author as well. Anyone read "The Sett"?
By top I assume you mean height rather than favourite? Highest was Mt Kosmanjeskaya
7100m in Tajikistan 1996. We were the first Australians on record to enter the country. Favourite would be Mt Elbrus, highest mountain in Europe. In the Caucuses mountains. Imagine the Alps before they manicured it. Very beautiful.
I dont climb any more for many reasons,not the least of which is the cost of maintaining my musical addiction and my family. Very expensive hobby mountaineering.

Digresion our specialty!