Author Topic: Has the economy affected your bass buying?  (Read 2851 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Has the economy affected your bass buying?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
First I've heard of it Ken. I listen to the ABC (like your BBC) and keep reasonably abreast of local politics.
The opposition have been trying to shame the govt over their travel expenditure levels but they haven't claimed that the travel itself was personal travel. Just an opposition doing what oppositions do as far as I can tell.
All checks and balances. They wont be able to push it too far because Howard tops the tree when it comes to this stuff. They will look like hypocrites.

Seriously, things are not too bad here yet. We haven't had anywhere near the levels of job loss predicted for now and the banks, while they did get stung are all viable and lending as per normal. No govt bail outs to any of them has even been considered as far as I know.
Digresion our specialty!

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
It has effected me, I haven't bought a bass in several years and have sold several, and may be selling a few more. It's very hard to get overtime where I work now whereas a year ago it was there for the asking just about every week.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
Bret... send us a few house prices...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »
Obviously a lot cheaper than good ol Kingston but they have remained very stable here. Only investment properties have dipped slightly. Jobless rate has has actually fallen from 5.7% to 5.4% in the last quarter and yesterday the governor of the reserve bank said that he can see an economic recovery beginning by the end of the year.

This is all from the ABC.
The RBA governor also reiterated the well-worn line that Australia is relatively well placed to survive the downturn and make the most of a return to global economic growth. We did go into this with a massive surplus which the Howard govt had been building for over 10 years.

"Both our countries [Australia and Canada] have reason to believe that we will come through this episode in reasonable shape," he said.

They are now starting to talk about how they are going to control the inflation rate as we come out of the rescesion.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:42:17 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
Since I only got into this stuff in 2008, and don't have  nearly the savvy of everyone else here, I would say the economy hasn't held me up.
Since December, 2008:
Ibanez Gio GSR200FM (gone now) and Marshall Mini Lead 12
'08 Danelectro '63 Longscale
'06 Epiphone Thunderbird
Fender 15" Bassman Compact
'02 Telecaster Classic 60
'07 Telecaster Standard
'95 Fender Cowpoke Bass
'72 Fender Bassman 10

To be fair though, none of this stuff was new, most came off CL or eBay and were cheap and the oldest item, the Bassman 10, cost me the most.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
I had a dano baritone guitar once that I traded for a drumset I think.  But since those longscales came out, I'm really itching to get one.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 06:33:13 AM »
Yep. Brought tough times on myself by gettin' that Zemaitis. Mighty glad I got the Z tho!
Gotta sell another ax I don't really wanna let go, my immaculate Greco lefty SG.
Puttin' it up for sale on craigslist for 7 hun obo. I'll post pics ASAP, she's a beaut!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:44 AM »
I had a dano baritone guitar once that I traded for a drumset I think.  But since those longscales came out, I'm really itching to get one.

I love the thing! I'd suggest buying one new rather than second-hand like I did. Turns out the neck had poorly installed frets and fixing that was going to cost as much as a new neck. If I'd bought it new, I probably could have gotten a replacement for nothing. It's a great sounding bass though, easy to play and the nearly half-round neck shape is super comfortable.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.