Author Topic: MIM Revelation  (Read 8854 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: MIM Revelation
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
I bought my first MIM (a black J-Bass) in 1992, the first year of production. I considered it to be an excellent value at $260 new, even with some glaring flaws in the finish. I've gotten a few others since then, including a 1998 Deluxe P-Bass Special (used to be called a California P-Bass), which is a cut above the MIM Standards. As Fender raises their prices each year, the MIMs yield less and less bang for the buck. Frankly, I'm more impressed with the SX 70s style J-Basses at around $160 plus shipping.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 08:26:48 AM »
I bought a Midnight Wine MIM Jazz 5-string about 18 months ago when a string of used ones came up cheap on eBay. It was a lot better quality than I expected, though I had to shim the neck to get a decent action out of it, and the soldering on the pots was pretty poor. The bridge was much chunkier than usual on Fenders. I didn't like the look of the 5-in-line headstock, but that's not unique to MIMs.

I sold it because I don't have that much use for a 5-string.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
I tried out a couple MIM basses a couple years back.  From what I saw/felt/heard, there wasn't $500 difference between the MIM and the MIA hanging next to it.  I'd recommend one in a minute as a good starter bass that can carry you into live gigs.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
As a mainly Gibson player of course I bully Fender players. So thanks for the Lame P Bass, Uwe!  ;D

I'm curious what's the diff between LPB and something I'm seeing in Fender descriptions nowadays "Old Lake Placid Blue".
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »
I'm curious what's the diff between LPB and something I'm seeing in Fender descriptions nowadays "Old Lake Placid Blue".

$100?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
At my local store there was my LPB MIM P and a LPB Custom Shop Strat. That one had a green-ish pickguard, more amber (aged) neck and maple board but also the LPB was slightly different from my bass. I think they yellowed the clear finish a bit, so it was slighty (but very, very slightly) greener. I guess that's the old LPB?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »
So old LPB is aged to make it look greenish right away. That's in line with Fender's ideas on relicing and wear.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
Yeah, I think every brand does it. Gibson with some bursts and 'unburst', Fender also with colours like Vintage White which is just yellowed Olympic White or something I guess? Newer Gibson Birds where Yellow-ish too.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »
For the most part I have found the MIMs functional but lacking a certain something. Not to say there are not some really good ones out there. I played a Road Worn an while ago and was so impressed I ordered a RW neck for my 2009 MIA Jazz. Best thing that ever happened to that bass I love the RW neck !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird