Author Topic: Has anyone added a pickup to an EB-0?  (Read 10050 times)

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
Re: Has anyone added a pickup to an EB-0?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
Wow, great build!

Even with black hardware ;)

Is the neck set at an angle or assembled flat, in reference, to the body?

Thanks, that was a fun project.

So I guess Uwe wasn't joking about the KKK, huh?! It would've been chrome hardware if I had decided for two chrome Humbuckers instead. But then, it would've been just another Gibson copy.

The neck is flat, paralel to the body. I wanted to make it angled but I was using a neck blank that I first intended to use for a guitar, so it wasn't tall enough to do that. So I had to raise the plane of the neck to get the right spacing to level the fretboard to the bridge, so there's quite a good space between the string and the body. Some players don't like that though. Here's pic that shows what I'm saying.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »
Dennis Dunaway's Gibson started out as an EB-O.

Where did you get that picture of Dennis Dunaways bass? That isn't the one on the first album is it, Love it To Death? I have it but don't feel like digging it out, i seem to remember it being a different color.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
Same exotic abused beastie...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »
I added one to my EB4L. Piece of cake.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »
Sorry, guys. Apparently my host doesn't let me post links from outside sources. You would have to copy and paste the link to the browser's adress bar. Is there any other way to post pics?

Well, I personally like the look of the P pickup. Although from a builder's point of view, there's a bit more work involved when routing for a P pickup cavity than for a regular retangular cavity, obviously.

BTW, Uwe, I'm from Sao Paulo.

Edit: Just found out that I can attach things here, let's see if it works... Is that ok?
Daniel, beautiful bass ! Even with the black hardware ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:34 PM »
Thanks, that was a fun project.

So I guess Uwe wasn't joking about the KKK, huh?! It would've been chrome hardware if I had decided for two chrome Humbuckers instead. But then, it would've been just another Gibson copy.

The neck is flat, paralel to the body. I wanted to make it angled but I was using a neck blank that I first intended to use for a guitar, so it wasn't tall enough to do that. So I had to raise the plane of the neck to get the right spacing to level the fretboard to the bridge, so there's quite a good space between the string and the body. Some players don't like that though. Here's pic that shows what I'm saying.

:vader: Uwe :vader: Is just overly sensitive to chrome ;D  And it looks like he's getting more sensitve - he used to call us Chromelings in the past now this?  ??? 

As far as the  neck angle, I thought that's what you had done and I've always contemplated just how best to execute the neck through bass in a build myself.  How does this feel in comparison to say a Fender setup?  Any noticeable difference in the feel over the strings?

Once again this is just a beautiful bass and I also have to compliment you on your excellent camera work as well.

Daniel_J

• View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
I added one to my EB4L. Piece of cake.

Lovely! Is that mudbucker stock or did you replace the super-humbucking? I liked the way you used something to cover the original switch slot, though it kinda looks like a missplaced thumbrest, or maybe a pinkyrest.

Daniel, beautiful bass ! Even with the black hardware ;)

Maybe I should find a way to post some pictures of my latest build that has lots of chrome on it! Maybe is for the best to try to score some points with the chrome police...

Daniel_J

• View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
:vader: Uwe :vader: Is just overly sensitive to chrome ;D  And it looks like he's getting more sensitve - he used to call us Chromelings in the past now this?  ??? 

As far as the  neck angle, I thought that's what you had done and I've always contemplated just how best to execute the neck through bass in a build myself.  How does this feel in comparison to say a Fender setup?  Any noticeable difference in the feel over the strings?

Once again this is just a beautiful bass and I also have to compliment you on your excellent camera work as well.

I don't have any preferences as for angled or flat necks, either as a player or a builder. But for a angled neck-through usually you need a very tall neck blank and it might mean more waste of wood than a flat neck.
When playing with a pick I do find it a little uncomfortable when the strings are too far from the body, but since I really don't play much with a pick, I can't comment much about the differences between this setup and a Fender setup. Others might have better comments on this.

BTW, I do work hard to get nice shots when photographing my instruments, but I gotta admit I have a lot of Photoshop experience as well...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2009, 09:25:40 PM »
Chrome or not, I'm always interested in seeing projects, and others are too. If they're not Gibson related, feel free to post them in the Projects Mods & Repairs section.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
Lovely! Is that mudbucker stock or did you replace the super-humbucking? I liked the way you used something to cover the original switch slot, though it kinda looks like a missplaced thumbrest, or maybe a pinkyrest.

Maybe I should find a way to post some pictures of my latest build that has lots of chrome on it! Maybe is for the best to try to score some points with the chrome police...
The EB4L ame with a large Humbucker that is very different in design to the "mudbucker" When you bend the string past the pole piece the note doesn't just decay it disapears, so I replaced it with a 70's Gibson Mudbucker.

Daniel_J

• View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »
The EB4L ame with a large Humbucker that is very different in design to the "mudbucker" When you bend the string past the pole piece the note doesn't just decay it disapears, so I replaced it with a 70's Gibson Mudbucker.

I see. Probably Gibson R&D guys didn't used to bend the string that much when developing those pickups.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
The EB-4L has an individual circular coil for each string. That may be okay in theory. In this case, according to what owners say, there isn't enough of a magnetic field beyond a narrow area around the polepiece screw.

Daniel_J

• View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
The EB-4L has an individual circular coil for each string. That may be okay in theory. In this case, according to what owners say, there isn't enough of a magnetic field beyond a narrow area around the polepiece screw.

I didn't know that, I've only seen pictures of those pickups and I thought they were like a P pickup under the cover.
Hey Dave, is there any place (website that is) that I can find more info on Gibson's bass pickups?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
Jules' Fly Guitars site is the best place, it's still a work in progress. His Gibson bass pickup page is here.  If you're using Internet Explorer, you'll see the innards of the EB-4L right next to its description. If you're using Opera or Firefox, it doesn't render properly, the pix are there but not in the proper location.

Daniel_J

• View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »
Thanks, Dave! That's a great website.
I've actually seen that website before, but as I remember I was throw off by the confused layout. I guess I was a little unpatient at the time cause I see now that there's a very easy-to-follow cascate menu on the left.
Thanks again!