Author Topic: Has anyone added a pickup to an EB-0?  (Read 9885 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone added a pickup to an EB-0?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »
I thought the Pitbull was supposed to be like two single coil P coils under the cover. Somebody (Daniel?) checked out the pole locations with magnetic filings and IIRC that's what it looked like.

Correct. I used a tiny screwdriver to locate the magnetic field and it showed that there are poles hidden behind that cover, not blades. I also remember back in the DP days someone, can't remember who,  actually had met one of the Rio Grande guys who said that they used two of their single coil P-pickups and potted them inside the cover.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 03:29:55 AM »
Hey, guys. My first post here. I've been checking the discussions around here and I'm enjoy quite a lot. This is a very relax and amusing forum, people seem to have a lot of fun.

Anyways, I'm a builder from Brazil and since this thread started with a SG bass and shifted to the PB pickups, I think I have something to share with you all.
From what I read so far, people around here are not to keen on the PB pickup, so I hope nobody gets offended, but here's one of my builds:

Hi Daniel, welcome. Unfortunately, I can't see your pic (can others?). There is nothing wrong with using a split coil if you like the look - our criticism of splitcoils is purely on the esthetic side, they can sound great on basses and have established the Fender sound as a benchmark, nobody is doubting that.

You're our first member from Brazil I think. Which city?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 03:55:30 AM »
That's the picture of our new brazilian friend. Welcome!

http://osbguitars.110mb.com/SG_Bass/g_foto_09.jpg
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 04:02:55 AM »
Still nothing, all I get is:

"403 Error Code"

and

"You're seeing this page because account contains no index file. (EG: index.htm)"

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »
I have nothing against split P pickups unless they sit on a Gibson (yes, it seems wrong even on a Q90).

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
Sorry, guys. Apparently my host doesn't let me post links from outside sources. You would have to copy and paste the link to the browser's adress bar. Is there any other way to post pics?

Well, I personally like the look of the P pickup. Although from a builder's point of view, there's a bit more work involved when routing for a P pickup cavity than for a regular retangular cavity, obviously.

BTW, Uwe, I'm from Sao Paulo.

Edit: Just found out that I can attach things here, let's see if it works... Is that ok?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:33:23 AM by Daniel_J »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Uwe, I can see the pic in his first post.

I don't know why it's not working for some of you, but as Daniel said, you can copy and paste the URL.

Daniel, welcome aboard, looks like a nicely done bass. Is that a Hipshot bridge?

If some people can't see your images, I suggest getting a free Photobucket account, then you can hotlink directly using the IMG url. You can also upload small pics directly from your hard drive by attaching them to your post, I see you've discovered that.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
Thanks, Dave. I just signed up on photobucket, quite easy and fast actually.

That's not a Hipshot bridge. It's probably korean made, dirty cheap, base and saddles are made of aluminum. And there are no intonation screws, saddles are locked in place by allen screws, one on each side of the base. Decided to use that bridge because of it's 18mm string-to-string spacing. Actually, that was the only bridge I found with such a narrow spacing, since 19mm and 20mm are more usual.
And to test my new photobucket acount, let's see if I can post a picture of the bridge:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
Like Uwe I couldn't see the first pic and link, but the last two are clearly visible!

Dennis: Welcome aboard! Nice bass! Personally I would have placed the pick up a bit more to the center of the body.

I don't dislike split P pick ups. I think they're instant recognizable and well sounding.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
Daniel (of Brazil), you are heaven-sent! Black hardware!!!! No longer am I alone here in my quest ... You must know that 99 % of our members here are card- and  burning cross-carrying Knights of the KKK

- the Ku Klux Khrome!   :mrgreen: ;D ;)

With me the grand (and villified) exception.

Actually, that split coil snuggling up to the neck looks much better than in a bridge position where most splitcoils on EBs end up. Did a customer order this or did you build it for yourself?

I like that bridge - the concept is similar to Hipshot and ABM bridges whose intonation position is not held by being screwed from behind - this will spur some double entendre comments I'm sure  :rolleyes: - but by allen screws in the saddles themselves that push against bridge saddle canals. ("Screwed from behind" and "canal" in one sentence - some people will feast on this ...)

Uwe

PS: Sao Paulo? Oh, that small city ...  :) My (work-induced) travels have so far only led me to Rio twice.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:14:17 AM by uwe »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
Don't mind Uwe, nice bass & welcome Sao.

(Uwe really knows how to roll out the welcome wagon!)

Rocker949

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Hello, Daniel,  I used to have some friends from Sao Paulo.  Muito prazer em conhece-lo.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
Niiiiiice...a new title:

"The Grand and Vilified Exception". 

:-\

I better pull out that EB-3 and play it a while to remind myself why I have it. Otherwise I'll be looking for an EB-0 and dusting off my router.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
Uwe, of course a lot of Germans ended up in South-America, like 64 years ago. We all know that. Do you handle the financial cases of those ODESSA-Germans?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
Is there any truth in the rumour that Cheap Trick originally titled a song "The Chrome Police"...?

Or how about...

"I 'eard there was trouble at t' LBO, boot ah didn't expect the Chrome Inquistion...!"

WHOOOOOOOSH.....!

"Nob-buddy ex-pekts the Krome Inkwishishun...! our chief weppons are krome, krome, and more krome..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...