Author Topic: I bought a.................................Peavy T40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9610 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Nice bass! I love those enormous pick ups!

Bert doesn't say 'sunday' but 'someday'. So no congrats to Bert yet. However: Bert: Tell us something about that other bass......... ;)

Ha ha I read too fast sometimes. :p

Well good luck then Bert.

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
Well good luck then Bert.

Thanx. I could have bought many T-40's instead of the one I bought now I suppose.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
However: Bert: Tell us something about that other bass......... ;)

Not in a T-40 topic Chris.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Yeah, man, what  pity... You could have performed with like twelve t-40s behind you! But instead you bought an old piece of shit...

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
Yeah, man, what  pity... You could have performed with like twelve t-40s behind you! But instead you bought an old piece of shit...

You sound jealous. Is it because mine has a) all the right parts b) in the right place, instead of a specimen with a chainsaw enthousiast as former owner?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Well it's here, two things there is a small crack in the body near the input jack and the black plastic on the pickups are heavily worn and decaying. On the plus side it plays and sounds great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure what I am going to do for $300 I think I can get a better example, the seller said he would take it back or refund me a portion. I am thinking about what to do. Should I keep it or send it back ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
For goodness sake, Scott... you're a player and a craftsman...!

If she plays well and sounds great, who's gonna see the blemishes in the dark from below stage level... go for a refund and put that towards the refin work, or leave her "as-is", like your NR - is she a "Stinky" or a "Woody"...
Knowotahmean...?

I'm not know for my esthetic sense, mind you...  ;)

and remember, "Rust never sleeps...?"
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
I would send it back and get a better one, unless it gives you the excuse to mod the heck out of it?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
(the little demon on your shoulder) ... but she sounds so gooooood...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
i'd like to get a T-20 in "frost blue"
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I would send it back and get a better one, unless it gives you the excuse to mod the heck out of it?
The seller gave me a partial refund and a i am pleased. Hell it plays and sounds great, and I can't bear to send it off to ebay oblivion. If a nice shinny examples pops up for a deal I'll grab that to.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
T-40 Review
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 05:21:17 AM »
  This bass is exactly how I remember it when I bought one new when they first came out. Very well built by late 70's standards far better in fit and finish compared to a late 70's Fender, it certainly plays better than any 70's Fender I have ever owned or played. I have the action very low not one buzz or rattle. The neck profile is similar to a 70's Jazz but a little more refined and not as beefy with a flatter radius that a Fender, string bending is easy, also the medium jumbo frets are dressed very well.  The bridge is massive and I am sure it in part adds to the sustain of this bass, notes ring forever. I am not sure if I got a alder or ash body on this bass solid color should be alder but it is heavy (the name T-40 reminds me of Soviet tanks, apt it is built like one) I saw a vintage add for one of these and the line read something like "For those who demand more than Precision", great sales line and this bass sure does offer a lot more than a P bass. Even in the late 70's P basses were still dominant over the J and this bass was built to take them both on. The pickups are the heart of this bass  two massive Humbuckers that you can split the coils on and throw in and out of phase, this bass can go from a full throaty mudbucker like roar to the snap of a J and even very Ric like tones both clank and warm. For very little $ you can get your self a nice well built USA vintage bass with tons of tonal options. They are heavy though,  it seems to be their only flaw.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:41:25 AM by godofthunder »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
That bass looks great - no one will ever see the crack...whereverintheheck it is.  I sure don't see it.

That is one great looking bridge - it has about as much room for intonation as any bridge I've seen.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Thats brilliant Scott. Great description too. Made me want to go an get one.  ;)
Digresion our specialty!