Author Topic: Slade Redux  (Read 6188 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Slade Redux
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
But you're our closet proggie, John! Any type of music that sounds better with eye glasses on, you like it and probably owned it at one point or another!

How could you forget about Automatic Man, shame on you! No kiss then, just spanking as administered by Fräulein Rommel. You may keep your glasses on and count backwards in strange meters though while the procedure is applied ...  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

"just spanking as administered by Fräulein Rommel. You may keep your glasses on and count backwards in strange meters though while the procedure is applied ..." 

What?!?!

Herr Moderator, are you sending me out on jobs?
Does that make you my pimp?  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:10 AM »
You're the one wearing (albeit skimpy) police uniforms so I thought you stood for law and order enforcement!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
You're the one wearing (albeit skimpy) police uniforms so I thought you stood for law and order enforcement!

How easily those Germans get swayed by a uniform...    :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »

I'm all about strict discipline and skimpy quasi-military police outfits Herr Moderator!  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
I know, Mark, those barracks brat years in Germany were good for you and luckily turned a God-fearing, innocent, cleancut all-American boy into what we know and love about you today!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
Mark... "Pleas lead meon to the next whisky bar, oh don't ask why. oh don't ask why..." as long as there is no money involved it's purely introduction work, I guess...  ;)

Uwe... WHOOOAAH THERE Herr Hornung... NOT on a first date... yep guilty as charged... I guess it is no suprise that many of us have converging influences/likes/dislikes...

John... I first came across Pete Carr through Duane Allman searches... he was playing guitar as a second string to DA in Muscle Shoals - got all excited when I found an Atco single by Johnny Jenkins with a non LP track, thinking it would be Duane, but it wasn't... a lot of people will not know of the stuff he (Carr) did working with Seger over many LPs - Silver Bullett live/Muscle Shoals studio... did you ever hear Leblanc-Carr, which was a great LP; a stan-out song was "I belive that we..." wonder what he does these days... a much under-rated player...

Uwe... guess I'm an out-of-the-closet-proggie, too...  ;D

Gary... and how they swayed and sashayed through Europe in those shiny jack-boots, too... a little more push and a little less polish and you'd be "turning Japanese" and we'd all be listening to Kraftwerk... probably still have the same Queen though (and Victoria reputedly spoke with a German accent...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
Thanks for owning up Ken. I'm guilty of the closet Proggie label myself but after reading Johns punishment I was a bit scared to proclaim my crime. No offence Mark, I'm sure you would be good at it  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
I have been trying to dig out some shots of Slade from the "pit" that is my negative box, with no luck - mislabeled, I guess - they are/were shots taken at Donnington around 1981 that were not from that close to the stage but may be able to enlarge, but to no avail...

I came across several pics of players with Explorers (Mathias Jabs, Ricky Medlocke, Neil Young) I may post in one of Wouter's posts in the guitar section, but not scanned yet, but did find these which are partially relevant to parts of this thread and one with T'bird links which has no relevance... oh well...

Messrs Aldridge, Travers, Thrall & Cowling, crashing and burning at the Hammersmith Odeon...

Mr Glover with an out of character Thunderbird... circa '81 at the Rainbow Theatre with the Bonnet era Rainbow...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
When Glover came back from early retirement as a live musician in 1979, joining Rainbow after Dio's departure, he did play a Bicentennial TBird praising it as the bass he would have played with DP "had it been around then". The love affair ended when he broke the headstock of his TB during a gig by bumping it into a mike stand, this causing sever doubts as to the tour-hardiness of TBirds. Next on his list was then an Ovation Magnum ...

The TB saw action in the Since you've been gone vid (with a still very youthful Graham B.):

And on All Night Long, award-winning for its alltime dumb and misogynist lyrics (penned by Glover, who turns red at the thought today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvd8RR0wvNg&feature=related

Whether the TB can actually be heard on Down to Earth, I don't know, it's possible. The bass on DTE certainly sits more in the music than Glover's trademark Ric sound on the later Mk. II (pre-reunion) albums (a sound that, ironically, Glover never really liked, thinking it too brash, he wanted to sound "more American, with less distortion").   

After the next Blackmorist purge, with Powell and Bonnet leaving and "people from the colonies" such as Turner and Rondinelli their replacements, the TB was seen no more. The Ovation Magnun neck was carbon strengthened, it would win the battle against the mike stand everytime!  :mrgreen: Actually, the Ovation made an appearance as early as in Donington 1980 (last gig of the Bonnet/Powell line-up) so the poor TB must have been decommissioned via the mike stand between the date of your pic (79/80) and the Donington gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_-4BXng9Zw&feature=related

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:02:58 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
Ah... savour the clearly shown expertise...  8)

I was at that Donington gig... under the afluence of inkerhol... hic...  ;)