Author Topic: SERIOUSLY...DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE ORVILLE THUNDERBIRD PICKUP?????  (Read 2834 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
I'LL PAY YA $250.00 FOR ONE ORVILLE THUNDERBIRD BASS PICKUP. THEN YOU CAN BUY A MIKE LULL EXACT REPRO! ANYBODY????

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: SERIOUSLY...DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE ORVILLE THUNDERBIRD PICKUP?????
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
"I've got a slug..."

(I hope you know Python, Joe -  :o)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Are you threatening to shoot me dead with a Colt Python because I am looking for a pickup for my bass??? Are you Psycho??? What's yer deal, Man?

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
Um, I was thinking Monty not Colt ;)

As for Ken being physco - by some definitions maybe - but, I'm sure not clinically :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »
Geez, Joe, calm down. It was a reference to the Dead Parrot sketch on Monty Python.

Besides, we know guns are illegal in Chicago so there's no violence there anyway.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:45:26 AM »
Joe, if it really, really, really means that much to you, I'm prepared to disembowel my Orville by Gibson and exchange a pup in there against a Mike Lull one. Caveat: The Mike Lull has to fit and you have to obtain it for me first, send it over and I then send you the Orville pup (btw: what are you craving for: neck or bridge?).

To end your suffering. Even though it is beyond me what should be so special about the Orville pups, leaving issues such as chrome or not aside, TB Plus sound superior to my ears.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:20 AM »
Leave it to a lawyer to negotiate a happy ending (until you get the bill)

I believe Joe was joking, of coarse he does live in Chicago.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:22:33 AM »

Those Lull pups are about $290 apiece...........
 I don't have any recording software to prove it but I do have an Orville and a Lull, both are very nice sounding basses. The Lull pup is *whoa!* very nice, loud, growly no as nicely mannered as the Orville, you'll want more than just one Uwe.
Since Mike's isn't too far from me if there's anything I can do to help the proposed transaction - just let me know.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »
C'Mon, friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your Thunderbirds!!!! Ha! Isn't is cool that we have a bunch of cool guys who can take a Joke? Anyway, Uwe,  the reason being that I am looking for an Orville Thunderbird is because when I  built my non-reverse 8 string, the only pickups i could find were Orvilles. And it turned out to sound so good!!! they both measured at 10K output. I almost think that they sound better than the original 60's pickups. But...I only need one since I am building another Non-Reverse 8 string in Korina with a maple Gibson Grabber neck.  So, email me at jswoquinn@sbcglobal.net and we'll take it from there!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »
Did you say"*whoa!" as in super loud and growly, better than the Orville???? Hmmm... now ya got me thinkin'....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
You make up your mind then, young man, if you don't actually prefer the Mike Lull! Buy it, give it a try, you no like, we trade, capisce? For an 8-string to make sense you need pups that sound sharper than those Orvilles IMHO.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »

Joe,

I did say whoa.
To reinforce my thoughts I left the keyboard for 30 minutes and played the Lull..........It kicks major ass.
Since I have Curt's Orville to compare against yeah, the Lull pup is definately a growly warm good thing!
Reminds alot of my Greco Thunderbird II, a bass I hold near and dear.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »
YES SIR. I will give the Lull a shot. 9K T Bass it is!!!! Thanks you guys!!!!! I will post pics when we get some progress!!!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
Joe,

I did say whoa.
To reinforce my thoughts I left the keyboard for 30 minutes and played the Lull..........It kicks major ass.
Since I have Curt's Orville to compare against yeah, the Lull pup is definately a growly warm good thing!
Reminds alot of my Greco Thunderbird II, a bass I hold near and dear.

I'm glad you posted this. The sound samples on Mike's site (is that where they were?) sounded so tame to me that I was a little disappointed. I didn't want to say anything but they didn't make me want to order immediately if you know what I mean. I like the character of those old bird pickups and (as you know), I'm a big fan of the sound of the single pickup Greco. I'm glad to hear Mike's pickups sound so good in person.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »

George,

When I went to pick up the Lull I got to plug it in and play a bit, of course with Mike sitting there and me all dressed up as Ze Fraulein I was a bit out of sorts, so no Geddy Lee licks were forthcoming from me!...........The first thing I thought on hearing it tho, was...............Greco Thunderbird II.