Author Topic: Do not get a BASENJI!!!!!!!!  (Read 22743 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Do not get a BASENJI!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »
I remember the days when John was this awfully nice closet fusion fan playing music in church. Now he mingles with the strangest people ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:53 AM »
First, (back to the dog vs vet part of the thread) I'd use a tranquilizer gun on the little beast if you're gonna put him under anyway!  And second, we had a border collie for 14.5 years and smart dogs are fun, but a pain in the butt too!!!  Still, we miss her a lot.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »
First, (back to the dog vs vet part of the thread) I'd use a tranquilizer gun on the little beast if you're gonna put him under anyway!  And second, we had a border collie for 14.5 years and smart dogs are fun, but a pain in the butt too!!!  Still, we miss her a lot.

Like the people here and in the pit, sometimes it's the ones that are the biggest pain in the arse, are the ones that are the most endearing.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:18 AM »
Here is again trying to get his paws on my bass!

If I have no interest in something than he has no interest. But working in the garden or with plumbing, he has to be on top of you and will help dig holes, carry away plumbing parts, or assembly instructions to be shredded.

He has to inspect everything I bring in, including Uwe's basses. At least he does not mark things!
One good thing about basenji's are they are really good at house training.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 06:44:58 AM »
I think in one of his pre-lives he must have been a customs Deutscher Schäferhund.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
I was so amused by your post because my wonderful husband came with a Basenji which I call HELL-Dog.  I know that she IS the Devil spawn.  No dog could be so horrible but, YES there is a breed of dog that is undeniably awful.  The Basenji is only a generation or two from being wild.  I agree with you that NO ONE should get a Basenji.  These dogs should have been left in their natural environment where they have thrived for 100 of years and are successful.  They should have been left to be where GOD put them ... AFRICA.  I am sure that owning a wild wolf or fox would be about the same as owning one of these hellions.  I love how the websites make these dogs look like a wonderful and desirable family pet or companion.  This is far from the truth, these dogs are opportunists, like any other wild animal; they will go where the getting is good and they will chase down and kill anything they can.  They dont listen unless you have food, and they can most definitely be aggressive.  My husband's Basenji has bitten many times, has bitten him too.  We have a muzzle that we use a lot, we can get it on her with no issues but she snarls and growls and is downright mean.  I would NEVER trust her alone in a home without being crated, and never just let someone come up to pet her.  She is indiscriminate and unpredictable.  I wish Basenji websites would be more truthful about HOW these dogs really are.  Yes they are bark-less but far from quiet.  Yodel my butt, they scream and whine and howl.  My neighbor called me one day wanting to know if I heard the child screaming.  YES !!!  The child is the Basenji and not only do they sound like one they act like one too.  Super destructive and defiant.  My husband left her in the truck for 2-3 minutes while he went in a prepaid for gas and when he got back, she had reduced the seat belt to threads and shreds with bite marks marring the steering wheel and arm rest.  So in closing, if you want a dog that screams, howls and whines, destroys anything it can get its teeth into, chases anything that runs; no matter how big or small, will eat anything from a small cat to rodents in a second, must never be let out of sight, unless crated, can be pretty aggressive, will bite, will not listen to any commands, aloof, and prone to a deadly kidney disease called Fanconi.  Well then this WILD dog is for you.  Good luck. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Roshina has a Bichon... she's small, white and fluffy, and loves to roll in the mud or anything with a strong scent... :o
Presently have a guest Havanese Bichon cross that is rather elderly and the Bichon is somewhat put-out by this thing in her home... >:(
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
No interest in pets by my side. I was thinking about a Bass VI.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »
What breed's that...? Bassett I've heard of but not Bassix...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...