Author Topic: Post your favorite Bob Dylan remakes  (Read 5933 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Post your favorite Bob Dylan remakes
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
Gave up a ticket for Cannucks, "April Wine" to see Rainbow play a last minute gig at the Rainbow (don't you just love that "Rainbow at the Rainbow..." - kinda works, saw them there in '77 too) with Bonnet, just days after Mr Blackmore got in a strop at Wembley, and refused to encore, and the crowd trashed several rows of seats - played an ACE set and he trashed a cheapie Strat copy - Why he recorded an lp with Schenker and jumped ship straight after, I'll never know...? somewhat a self destructive streak...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
Graham Bonnet married a girl from Adelaide. A few of my mates have jammed with him here. Very nice and  um "Down to Earth" kind of guy from what they all say.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »
In the eighties, Bonnet was a closet epileptic. He kept it secret, but symptoms would sometimes show, especially if he didn't take good care of himself like not eating for a whole day. Prior to an MSG gig he had a fit a few days earlier and was in no state to perform. That explains why he forgot lyrics and showed uninhibited behaviour on stage like exposing himself and dragging Schenker's hidden rhythm guitarist from behind the speakers to embarrass ze German. It ended his career with Schenker - himself not the most stable character on earth - rather abruptly. Word got round in the business and Bonnet was henceforth seen as a liability, fine in the studio, but nobody for a rigorous touring schedule.

I assume that medication is just so much more effective and less invasive these days and that his more sheltered life has turned his epilepsy into less of an issue.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:45:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
My first drummer, and high school friend, was epileptic.  It's not all fits and seizures, as Uwe mentions.  It has a lot of behavioral traits.  We were constantly having to monitor our buddy in public.  As for MSG, I never saw a rhythm guitarist, but I do know that there was an extra vocalist in the wings.  At least there was on the night I saw them in Chicago.  The backup singer was a better singer that the lead - we went back to the motel (where I got to interview Michael Schenker), and he jammed with the lounge band.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
I have an epileptic dog. Has fits about 4 or 5 times a year. He is pretty together most other times regardless of how it looks in this pic. Its a sucky condition to have.

Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
Schenker's hidden rhythm guitarist from behind the speakers t

Made me think of Snowy White and Dave Gilmour.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
AFAIK, Neil Young has this problem, knows when it is about to hit, and goes for a rest... I have 70's acoustic recordings of him leaving the stage to take a break, mid song...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 01:47:25 AM »
This looks interesting~ MOUNTAIN:

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/MountainMastersOfWarCD.html

The best clip to my ears off this is Gotta Serve Somebody with Warren Haynes.

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-War-Mountain/dp/B000ROALT4

I'd like to hear the whole song...& the whole album at least once.  ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 04:45:44 AM »
Interesting that Mountain should do an album of Dylan songs.  Leslie West did a really cool version of "Wheels on Fire" for his first album.

And here's Julie Driscoll's version

Billy Bragg and KT Tunstall

Siouxie and the Banshees
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty