Author Topic: Goodbye kilometer signs  (Read 13228 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Goodbye kilometer signs
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:16:47 AM »
And good riddance: the only US Interstate with metric markers will be redone with mile markers.
http://www.gvnews.com/articles/2009/03/06/breaking_news/00mileposts0308.txt

Never should have been changed in the first place.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Goodbye kilometer signs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
If they're smart they'll sell the signs on Ebay and raise funds with them - they're collectors items!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
That should justify at least a 10% tax increase >:(
Rick

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
Does this mean we are not changing to the Metric System?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Does this mean we are not changing to the Metric System?

I told that idiot Mrs. Albert (my 2nd grade teacher) that the metric system was stupid. She assured me that I knew nothing and that it would be implemented in the US within a few years. Ha Ha, I win! I hope she's still alive and thinks of me when she sees this news...  :mrgreen:

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
Ha ha haaa

Funny too that when I got a new car stereo in my Vette I was headin' home with it from Vegas before I realized that the installers had switched my speedometer & odometer over to kilometers.
That gave me a shock!
Got it changed back when I got home to SoCal.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:13:26 AM »
I marvel how you guys even have the nerve to relish bathing in your own metric ignorance!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:50:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
I marvel how you guys even have the nerve to relish bathing in yiur own metric ignorance!

Spoken ..er typed...with excellent eloquence. :D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
I marvel how you guys even have the nerve to relish bathing in yiur own metric ignorance!

Uwe, in all seriousness, when I was introduced to the metric system (by the aforementioned 2nd grade teacher), it was explained in a way that made sure I understood that Americans were stupid and backward for ever having NOT used the system, and that Europe and Canada, which were so much smarter than we dumb Americans, had devised this wonderful new way to measure everything. Then the teacher explained that it would only be a few years before we did away with the dumb American way of doing things and all would be well once we did. Even at 7 years old, I understood what she was saying perfectly well and my initial reaction was not only that she was a dried up old windbag, but that I didn't need her or anyone else telling me how inferior the 'American' way of doing anything was. I'm not implying that anyone advocating the metric system today is saying those things, but (other than needing two socket wrench sets), I just don't have a great need for it.

I have to note here that I don't think I, being an American, am superior to anyone born here or anywhere else. I do, however, like being one, just as I'd hope Aussie Mark prefers being Australian and Uwe prefers being German. I think everyone should have an innate sense of pride for who they are and where they come from. It makes them what they are, and can't ever be changed, so why not embrace it?

Rocker949

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
Years ago, when I took physical science in college, the textbook had a picture of a girl in a bikini.  The purpose was to convert her measurements to the metric system.  It was at that time that I actually thought changing to the metric system might be fun.

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
I think the metric system actually makes a lot of sense since it works in tens: ten millimeter is one centimeter, ten centimeter is one decimeter, ten decimeter is one meter and so on.

In my job as a guitar builder/repairman I frequently have to shift back and forth between Inches and centimeters and it's rather confusing since the measuring system of inches, feet and miles don't really make a lot of sense if you're not taught about them in school. The fact that Inches, feet and miles also aren't measured in tens adds to the confusion.

If the Americans on this board value their measuring system so much, good for them, but I'd rather stick to the Metric system since it makes doing what I do so much easier.

Besides, you Yanks already took revenge on the French for the Metric system by sending Jerry Lewis to France, isn't that cruel enough?
 ;)

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
And good riddance: the only US Interstate with metric markers will be redone with mile markers.
http://www.gvnews.com/articles/2009/03/06/breaking_news/00mileposts0308.txt

Never should have been changed in the first place.

They took them down here in MA but don't ask me when, I didn't even notice it until this post. They used to have them in both miles and Kilometers. We're too big for those puny kilometers. Now we gotta get rid of this stupid extended daylight savings time thing.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
What's next? Ditching grams and Kilograms and going back to lbs.?  :P "My bass weighs in at 9 lbs." Does that really mean anything?  ;D
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:20:26 AM »
I will not rest until we stop IDing engine sizes by liters. LITERS?!
It's an engine, not a g*d*mned bottle of fizzy water! >:(
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter