Author Topic: 4005 facsimile-final shots  (Read 62394 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 4005 facsimile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
About six months back we bought a table for the sun-lounge/dining room, which is where my wife does her most of her crafting/card-making, and occasionally, some book-keeping work... an accident dented the surface...
My buddy just said that it, "Just adds to the history of the table..."
Kinda liked that... ;)

Pristine is for the showroom...

There are some people that deliberately "distress" things, just to make them look "well used..."

Got a favourite old pair of shoes, or a shirt, or something, Doc...? why keep em...?

What's the punchline, Dave...? "Thank goodness I didn't mention the fork..."  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
Lucky we didn't say anything about the dirty knife.  ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »
Damn my memory...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »
The more I worked on my Blueshawk the more dents & scratches I put in it. I'm such a clumsy oaf.

I have real respect for those who turn out perfect instruments.

Nice work, your becoming a guitar making master!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
Well, I've yet to build or rehab a bass and have the result perfect or pristine!  If that were my measuring stick, I'd have given up a long time ago!!!!   8)  One of the reasons I like to rehab old basses is I get to leave dents and dings as well as finihsing imperfections without feeling bad about it!  When I finish the Guild M-85, that will not be perfect for sure, it's a 35 year old body, I want the finished bass to look that way.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
The more I worked on my Blueshawk the more dents & scratches I put in it. I'm such a clumsy oaf.

I have real respect for those who turn out perfect instruments.

Nice work, your becoming a guitar making master!

Wow, thanks for the compliment.  I am learning something new every step of the way.  This is my first total build from scratch.  I plan on a lot more on down the road.  Ditto the clumsy comment, that's me too!  I've bumped and scratched this body and neck 20 times already! 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »
One night I was in my room playing my basses and the power went out. It was pitch black. I got up and tripped over a guitar stand and knock my EB-0 bass off its stand and it took a large chip out of the headstock, I still can't find.

It's like getting your first door ding on a your new car. Your heart just sinks. You spend so much time getting a flat mirror finish then bam!

No more worrying about door dings after that. Park anywhere, dont worry about scratching your bass.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »
One night I was in my room playing my basses and the power went out. It was pitch black. I got up and tripped over a guitar stand and knock my EB-0 bass off its stand and it took a large chip out of the headstock, I still can't find.

It's like getting your first door ding on a your new car. Your heart just sinks. You spend so much time getting a flat mirror finish then bam!

No more worrying about door dings after that. Park anywhere, dont worry about scratching your bass.

Yes, life's like that.  A little damage makes us relax and not worry about the next ding.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
Doc, you and Barkless set the bar pretty hi when it comes to one off builds . I inspired me to do 2 so far. I too have an guild X 50 body Im making a neck for . Not sure if I want to do short or long scale.
This Ricky project is 'da bomb!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
Doc, you and Barkless set the bar pretty hi when it comes to one off builds . I inspired me to do 2 so far. I too have an guild X 50 body Im making a neck for . Not sure if I want to do short or long scale.
This Ricky project is 'da bomb!

Thanks Shadow.  I was always a little hesitant to build a neck, but it's really not all that difficult.  In fact, I rather enjoyed it.  I got exactly what I wanted with just a little effort.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:49 AM »
My first ever bound f-hole.  What an experience, but it finished well.  The next one should be easier!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
I know this thread is filled with posts reading; great work! But it has to be said again. Wow... GREAT WORK!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:58 AM »
I know this thread is filled with posts reading; great work! But it has to be said again. Wow... GREAT WORK!

Hey thanks George.  No need to stroke me, I just like to keep folks updated on my progress.  I'm learning a lot from this one!!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
My first ever bound f-hole.  What an experience, but it finished well.  The next one should be easier!

F holes were horrible! Also I had some cracking around them during the clear coats of coarse.

Roughed in

Cleaned up with small files

There are not identical either

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2009, 01:56:06 AM »
A good job, both of you!