Author Topic: Studio Thunderbird IV  (Read 3982 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Studio Thunderbird IV
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:09:41 AM »
 Musicians Friend is clearing these out in ebony for 1,154.00 and I am thinking of taking the plunge. Any reviews comments etc would be appriciated.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Studio Thunderbird IV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
No bargain IMO.  Seems like MF retailed these for $1049 when they were originally carried so I don't see how $1154 is a clearance price. ???

I got mine off of Ebay over a year ago for about $600 and it was virtually new - true I got a hell of of a deal but I still think that if you're patient you can pick on up used for less than $700.

As for the bass itself I really like it - light and has the nice warm growly tone you expect from a Tbird.  The headstock appears to be bit delicate though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »
Yeah, they sure have a funny idea of what "clearance price" is.

These did retail for $1049. After Gibson discontinued them in January 2008 I expected a big clearance price drop from MF and Music 123. Instead, a few months later, they raised the price by 100 bucks! No wonder they still have them in stock.

I've never played one or even seen one in person. The price would have to be a lot lower for me to even consider it.

Rocker949

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:24 AM »
What about the SG RI?  At one point it was even less than $1,000 and now it's $1,400.  Prices seem to be going up a lot more at MF than going down.  Of course this pretty much applies to most other places like that, too.  The worse the economy gets, the more prices go up.  Because all those people losing their jobs or about to lose them like nothing more than paying hundreds more for a bass now than what they would have paid for the same bass not even that long ago. 

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »
Before I bought my first bass I looked at all kinds and went through Craigslist and "completed auctions" on eBay to see what T-birds were generally going for and since early December I've only seen one Gibson T-bird go for less than $1000.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »
Let's put it this way: That bass is worth that price (Studios were underrated), but you could get it cheaper somewhere else.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:26 AM »
I know I could get it cheaper, wish I bought one at the HOG when they first came out, I could have got one for a lot less than 1K :(  Whats pushing me is that the bass is discontinued, always want what you can't have.  :-[ I know the price isn't that great but 12 months no interest no payment sure is attractive, maybe if I wait a bit they will drop the price.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:36:47 AM »
I agree.  It's too high, discontinued or not.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »
Your right to much thanks for being the voice of reason guys.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »
Good basses they were, but they won't be collectible for a long time, if ever. Others will come along.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
I would think the reason to get one is to have a 5 string bird.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
I must confess I bought one just for looks in 2006 when they were still in production, the 4 string model in ebony. I dig that slightly more streamlined looking headstock, the curved, rounded body. It sounds nice, and it plays nice for sure – though I lack comparison to an actual (neck-through) Thunderbird. Mine is a little noisy, I'll have to have someone look after this sometime...

But, again, I think that price is a little too high.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »

I think it's an attempt to sell off old stock at a "bargin" price before the new Epi Pro's arrive.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »
I think it's an attempt to sell off old stock at a "bargin" price before the new Epi Pro's arrive.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Especially since Gibson has trimmed back their current bass offering (minus the addition of the new Grabber).
I agree with everyone else; that price isn't much of a bargain, you could definitely find it cheaper on the 'Bay. Then again, if its the financing you're needing then I don't guess it matters as much. I think the studios are awesome basses though, I love mine.

Mine is a little noisy, I'll have to have someone look after this sometime...

I recently had mine checked for the noise level as well (mind you, the 'luther' wasn't that great which I didn't know at the time) and he seemed to think the noise was just the nature of the pickups. Though he did shield the pickup cavities.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
I still think the design of the Studios was a credible attempt of bringing the TB into this millenium. A bit more rounded and hence more current, but with a pleasantly strong nod to the past.