Author Topic: Skyhooks - ' Love this band  (Read 618 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Skyhooks - ' Love this band
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

These guys are Aussie icons. I love their stuff. Its so tongue in cheek. They really dont seem to take it seriously. This show was being simulcast on the top rating Saturday night Live type show at the time. These guys are/were huge here but nowhere else it seems.
I love the cross section of age groups in the audience all singing the words  :)

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Skyhooks - ' Love this band
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »
Hey, I've got their double CD Anthology with the seventies heyday hits and some later stuff like "Tall Timber"! I do like them, soundwise they were ahead of their time. While visually patterned after glam hard rock bands, their music reminded of that Dire Straits/Sniff and the Tears rootsy feel that only became popular years later. Women in Uniform, although a great track, is not really representative of their work and probably as glam as they got.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Skyhooks - ' Love this band
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
I'd go along with that. They were more a riff based band. Not quite enough crunch for what we now recognise as glam.

The other thing with Skyhooks was their lyrics which were more pertinent and a bit deeper than your average glam tune.

""My face gets dirty guts walkin' around, I need another pill to calm me down" (From "Living in the 70's")

My personal favourites would be the lyrics to "Million dollar riff" which was a big hit even though it was a major stab at the record companies. And "Hotel Hell" just because I relate to the whole story of being in bands and playing in Pubs  and what you get to see in that situation.

In the late 70's and early 80's they sounded more glam than earlier due to guitarist Red Symonds leaving and being replaced by Bob Spencer who is a friend of Aussie Mark and me over on the Aussie Guitar Gearheads forum. Bob later played with the Angels for quite a while and its his guitar you hear on Women in Uniform and this clip below.

Digresion our specialty!