Author Topic: Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...  (Read 8444 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »
It turned out to be a nice opportunity - I also ordered tuner mounting screws, pickguard screws and a couple of other odds and ends.  Allparts charges $7 for domestic shipping. Might as well get the best bang for my buck. I also ordered new nut blanks and a string adjustment gauge from Stew-Mac.  I will order strings for the Lyle tomorrow...getting late tonight.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
The parts are here!  I guessed wrong on the tuner bushings, but I found that could rob them off my Kay KB-2 bass with the warped neck. I also grabbed the strings off it, since it's not a player at this point, and installed them on the Lyle.

After some meatball setup, I can tell that both pickups work, and I've managed to get it playing OK except for fret buzz on the third fret of the G string.  But I'm going to leave it strung up for a couple of days to see what shape the neck takes. Between gluing the fertboard back on and whatever odd forces the truss rod may have generated, I think it deserves some time to settle in.

It sounds decent, but I still have a lot of cleanup to do before I know what it's capable of.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:02:33 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."