Author Topic: Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...  (Read 8445 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Lyle SG-Clone just arrived...
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »
I think about TIs occasionally, but my beer and pizza budget keeps getting in the way.

TIs at $54, GHS at $24.......decisions, decisions.......
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »
No way, I get them for less.  Let me look up my supplier's URL and get back to you.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »
Much 'bliged......
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
Much 'bliged......

I get them here http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=260

You can get a 10% discount if you are a member of the BABP forum as well.  Been buying from Tom for a couple years and he's great.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »
Don't do it, Al! Go for the LaBellas or the GHS!  Resist the TIs!  :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  That does reduce the difference a bit - I'll think on it. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
Hey....does anybody have a line on where to buy spare TUNER ferrules?  I'm missing one on that Lyle bass, and so far I've spent more than a half-hour searching the web with no luck.  I've only found two or three places that carry any ferrules for use on bass tuners, and they are all for Fenders...not the right size.

The ferrules on the headstock of this bass have an inside diameter of .397 inches (about 9.93 mm) where the tuner post goes through, and the shoulder that presses lightly into the headstock is .469 (11.9 mm) outside diameter.  They seem to be larger than most ferrules.  The ferrules are smooth on the outside shoulder, but I sure wouldn't turn down ones with serrations on the shoulders either.

Any ideas??  ???

Later note....after another half-hour searching, I found that Allparts.com has both "bushings" and tuners at an affordable price, including tuners similar to the ones on the Lyle...but they don't provide any dimensions.  I emailed them for info.  Other ideas still welcome!

This set looks pretty similar to the tuners on there, and is only $25.
http://www.allparts.com/store/tuning-keys-bass-tuning-keys-tk-7945-010,Product.asp
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:56:59 PM by Pilgrim »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »
They are going to be hard to find I'm sure.  They sound too big for adapting guitar string ferrules.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:16:39 AM »
Could you possibly adapt a drill bushing? If you can't find a selection from a local industrial supply house, try an online place like McMaster-Carr or MSC Industrial Supply.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Dave.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »
they are indeed too large for adapting guitar bushings - they seem to be on the large side even for bass tuners.

BUT - I'd never heard of drill bushings before.  Cool idea!!

A little online searching inclines me to think that I may be able to make them work.  If I can find some with the right length and outside diameter - and either the correct or a smaller inside diameter - a local machine shop should be able to machine out the centers to the correct I.D., although it appears that those bushings are often hardened steel.

I'll keep that option in mind and do some searching for the proper fit.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 05:25:44 AM »
Don't worry too much about the bushing length.   A lot of ferrules only go part way into the headstock.  The set on my Vox only go in about 1/4".  They only need to cover the top of the tuner hole for the post to ride inside.  That's all that's necessary to keep the post form binding against the headstock wood.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »
I found two other possible sources - both have tuners at good prices if I can't find a bushing...

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com

http://store.guitarfetish.com/info.html

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
Found the bushings!  Allparts.com has them:
http://www.allparts.com/store/tuning-keys-bushings-buttons-tk-0799-001,Product.asp

The bushing ID is just .003 larger than the original, which isn't enough to matter.  The OD is .028 larger than original, well within my ability to adjust with gentle filing or just a turn of a manual reamer.  The bushings may even slide in, given that the bass is 30 years old.

$10 plus shipping looks good.  Allparts doesn't list the dimensions but they were quick with an email response.  I searched for hours online and this was the only place I could find bushings or tuners that matched the originals.

And if the tuners have problems, Allparts has look-alike replacements - and it's the only place I could find them!
http://www.allparts.com/store/tuning-keys-bass-tuning-keys-tk-7945-010,Product.asp

If anyone else is looking for replacements for a 2x2 tuner arrangement on an old Japanese bass, these might be good to know about. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »
Cool! Congrats.   Persistence pays off.