Author Topic: Out of all the auto makers  (Read 3439 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Out of all the auto makers
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »
Who would have thought Subaru would actually increase sales in 2008?

Subaru posts 2008 sales increase in US

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/05/business/NA-US-Subaru-Auto-Sales.php

Contrary to most other mainstream automakers who are struggling dearly in recent times, Subaru of America has actually posted a sales increase of 1.2% through November 2008. Although a small increase overall, three of the brand's key models -- the Impreza, Legacy and Forester -- have set record sales numbers.

Leading the pack of record breakers is the redesigned Forester wagon launched this past May, which scored our Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year honors for 2009. For first 11 months of the year, an increase of 33.8% was had compared to the same time last year. Its smaller sibling, the Impreza hatchback, achieved a sales rise of 9.6% through November, while sales of the aging Legacy were up by a surprising 9%. Coincidentally, a concept tease of the upcoming 2010 Legacy model is slated to make its debut at next month’s Detroit Motor Show.

And Subaru did it while offering the lowest incentives of any major car maker — an average of $889 per vehicle versus an industry average of $2,566, according to Edmunds.com.

- Not me I though they would suffer from their poor gas milage & higher pricing
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:28:29 PM by Barklessdog »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Out of all the auto makers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »
Hyundai sales went up 14%, which I can understand, being an inexpensive car manufacturer.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Hyundai sales went up 14%, which I can understand, being an inexpensive car manufacturer.

They also have, I believe, the largest state-of-the-art manufacturing plant here in the USA.  Their gain is actually good for US Auto Workers.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »
The vehicles tend to be mid-priced with sedate styling, high safety ratings, EPA city/highway mileage ratings in the low 20s and high reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.

It’s a package that attracts a high-income demographic of college-educated professionals (lots of medical folks, who apparently appreciate the all-weather capability), more than a few lesbians (About.com’s Lesbian Life ranked the Forester as the No. 1 vehicle for gay women) and impressive loyalty among owners.

I never considered the Forester a lesbian dream?

When my wife needed a car last year we looked at Foresters and are really nice. They have a huge sunroof. Too small for our dog crates though.
Subaru’s retention rate, at 50.5%, is only slightly better than the industry average of 48% recorded by data tracker J.D. Power and Associates. But Turner contends that many Subaru owners sell their old cars to friends or family and pay cash for their new Subarus, and thus don’t show up in surveys as repeat buyers who do trade-ins.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:39:43 PM by Barklessdog »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
I remember we discussed this in another thread when Fraülein Mark was talking about his Subaru. For some reason Subarus became really popular with lesbians probably dating from the late 80s. They've been smart enough to cater to that market, that's why they had Martina Navratilova as a spokeswoman for awhile. Of course that's not a majority of their sales but they'd be foolish to ignore it.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
Yep, money is green whether you're gay or straight.  :mrgreen:

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
They are a solid not-too-big car with 4 wheel drive.  The Legacy has been fairly popular with homosexual women and anyone else who appreciates a car/wagon that can drive through crummy roads and haul moderate loads.  They hold their value like crazy to boot, so it is hard to knock them.  For me personally, I can't justify the car for the money.  But I don't know why people love them.  They are like the worlds most expensive AMC Eagle.

Of course you have to take a look at the figures.  Their sales have been overall low and up and down over the last few decades.  A 20% increase for them is a good week for Toyota.  Nissan has been doing similar see-sawing over the last 20 years, but with bigger dips.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
(struggling)...must - not - make - tasteless - joke...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »

Don't forget they've also promised to take the car back if you lose your job within the next 12 months.  that's making a difference.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »
Hyundai quality control has come a long way since the days when a Hyundai-driving friend of mine used to tell this joke:

Q: What's the difference between a Hyundai and a Jehovah's Witness?
A: You can shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness.

And Subaru has come a long way from the days when they were advertised as "inexpensive and built to stay that way."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:03:55 AM »
I love my Outback. Tough as old boots but still comfortable and the size is not too big and not too small. All wheel drive means I have less issues than otherwise due to where I live.

Fits my gear perfect and when I change to putting my underpants on the inside of my shorts my family fits very nicely as well.

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 05:54:18 AM »
I put some Nokian all season WR tires on mine it handles great in the snow, that we have had non stop since November!

8" of ground clearance does not hurt either. I like mine a lot.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »

I can tell you that for my needs my Outback is a great car, its built like a brick s#*%house, loads and unloads all my gear quite easily and doesn't break my wallet doing that. The AWD and a new set of Goodyear's get me anywhere I need to go - they're very popular in the gay community here (Lesburu being the nickname) but also with folks that enjoy outdoor sports, and its common to see them with 2 kayaks, sailboards, skis or bicycles attached to the roof.   
It snowed rather heavily here in Seattle in December and it stuck around for about 10 days, all during that time I had no problems on hilly unplowed sidestreets etc the car was truly a pleasure!
Hard to operate a camera with a hangover this AM, but here's mine, I think its only fitting that its raining and the car is covered (proudly!) in winter filth............ ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
Nice car Mark.

Mine, in front of our work building, a XT gas guzzling Turbo Wagon

My wife's Highlander, which is much bigger than my Subie, but gets as good as or better milage

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
We bought the princess, AKA  the daughter, a 2005 Forester a couple of Christmas' ago - it was a Suby trade program car.  At the time it was the only vehicle that had 5 star crash ratings from both the Feds and the insurance institute.  The thing runs like a scalded dog and has yet to give us any trouble.  I put some 60K all season Pirelli's ($$$) on it last year and the thing holds the road like one of Uwe's Porsches.  At this point, short of a Hummer H3, I wouln't put her in anything else.  When we run the wheels off our Jeep Liberty it will get replaced by a Forester.

And Mark, nice neighborhood ;)  I like that the houses set up from the street.