Author Topic: Ford Quality #1  (Read 3459 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Ford Quality #1
« on: February 03, 2009, 07:04:28 AM »

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/ford_tailpipe_fires.html
Ford Motor Co. has ordered dealers to stop selling the new Super Duty pickup with the 6.4-liter diesel engine and is recalling more than 37,000 of the 2008 F-Series trucks after reported tailpipe fires in the diesel version of the pickups.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Ford Quality #1
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:08:33 AM »
Holy Crap !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »
It'd be fun to run it thru motor vehicle inspection like that - just for s#!ts and grins  ;D

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »
I think this video might be viral nonsense.  The recall is for a fuel line crossover that cracks and causes fires.  For exhaust to ignite, one would have to have a reason for an ignition within the tailpipe - an old lead sledder trick - and that would not happen with what the truck recall is for, and they are not even related.  You might as well show the truck bed or the glove compartment shooting out flames.  Also, the exhaust doesn't stay ignited, which indicates that the ignition point stops and starts based on the gas pedal?  It is fun to watch but I am betting it is a bunch of goobers hooking up a dash spark switch.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »

Fire! Fire!

Hey man, my Fords have all been fire free since 1982! We won't talk about that one....

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
I agree. That video is a well-planned setup.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
I think this video might be viral nonsense.  The recall is for a fuel line crossover that cracks and causes fires.  For exhaust to ignite, one would have to have a reason for an ignition within the tailpipe - an old lead sledder trick - and that would not happen with what the truck recall is for, and they are not even related.  You might as well show the truck bed or the glove compartment shooting out flames.  Also, the exhaust doesn't stay ignited, which indicates that the ignition point stops and starts based on the gas pedal?  It is fun to watch but I am betting it is a bunch of goobers hooking up a dash spark switch.

I'm a bit suspicious of this myself. That engine sounded absolutely awful too. Can't tell if it was someone playing with the timing or what, but no one in their right mind would drive something that sounded like that off the showroom floor :o
Rick

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
Ralph Nader started this BS over 40 years ago with his rigged Corvair stunts. Dateline continued the scam with almost no consequences. Looks like it's still going on.

Recalls happen, and if there's a serious safety issue that was caused by negligence then the responsible company should be penalized, but demonizing manufacturers for made up issues only trivializes the real issues when they happen.   

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »
It is fun to watch but I am betting it is a bunch of goobers hooking up a dash spark switch.

The automotive equivalent of lighting a fart... :o
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »
It sounded funny because it is a diesel. It started on fire because there is a device in the exhaust to burn off particulates to meet emmission requirements.

I don't think Ford would recall its top line truck on a faked video.

Google it.

Quote from: Pickuptruck.com
Ford safety spokesman Dan Jarvis told PickupTruck.com today that, "The video is definitely one of the three trucks we described last week (see below, in the original story). It was sent to us by one of our dealers in Canada, where two of the trucks in the recall were located, and it illustrates why we took action so quickly. We wanted to alleviate any potential safety concerns about this issue right away."

Although not 100% certain of the cause of the fire seen in the video, Jarvis said the truck in the 75-second clip is probably the Super Duty that was started in very cold temperatures (approximately minus 20 to 30 F). Its engine wasn't given enough time to briefly idle and lubricate the turbocharger in the freezing weather before the truck's operator drove off, resulting in a blown bearing seal in the turbo and a leak of combustible fluid (likely oil) into the pickup's DPF.

Jarvis also gave an update on one of the other trucks that had a leaking fuel injector, which caused another instance of flaming exhaust. After shutting off and restarting the motor the problem causing the leak in the injector resolved itself without requiring any further maintenance. It was likely caused by some sort of obstruction that was removed upon the engine's restart.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »
It sounded funny because it is a diesel. It started on fire because there is a device in the exhaust to burn off particulates to meet emmission requirements.

Google it.

The recall is real. The video is real. But it was staged to get that result.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
What does "staged" mean in that context? That they were pushing for it to self-ignite? Even then, no car should do that even if "pushed".

Unless it's a new concept of car heating that is.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Yes, they deliberately tried to get it to ignite.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »

Google it.

I know what a diesel sounds like and that thing did not sound healthy. :rolleyes:
Rick