Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Pyramid Flats and TI Jazz Flats

(1/4) > >>

hieronymous:
OK, I have to access the databass that is you guys' collective knowledge - I seem to remember reading somewhere that Pyramid flatwound strings changed since the late-'60s/early-'70s. This is all wrapped up in the Jack Casady/Phil Lesh/Alembic saga and the search for that sound. Apparently Pyramids used to be very low tension, but if you buy them now they are high tension (or so I've heard). The other part of the story is that TI Jazz Flats are supposed to resemble the Pyramid strings of old.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I've tried searching the Alembic site and also just doing a general Google search, but can't find anything. I'm afraid it might have been over at the Dude Pit...

There's a great tidbit here at Fred Hammon's Darkstar site - a quote from Rick Turner - but nothing about TIs or the current state of Pyramids.

n!k:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfhsLuOEWI&feature=related

The strings he's playing (we assume are pyramids) don't look like low tension strings at all (or at least not that low). Around 2:50 they zoom right on his plucking hand.

Dave W:
I have no idea about any Jack Casady/Phil Lesh/Alembic connections. I can tell you that anyone who says Pyramids have changed since the old days either never played 'em back then or doesn't have a good memory.

They were never low tension, just average for their gauge sizes. Any small gauge set on a short scale bass would feel relatively soft. They never actually advertised the actual gauge sizes but the short scale set was something like 40-95.

Pyramids are nothing like TI flats and never were, either in tone or feel. I don't think Pyramids are exceptional, i.e. they're good but not worth the extra money unless you need them for a special reason like playing what your hero played on a certain record. They're full range medium tension flats, unlike the TIs, which are flabby and midrange heavy (I don't like TIs, in case you can't tell).

dexter:
well ,i was thinking of giving the pyramids and T.I.'s a go , but might give them a miss after reading that .
what would you suggest Dave ( or anyone else ) for a  shortscale string suitable for ebo / eb3 basses , preferably flatwound , but other types considered as well. i currently use d'addario flats . not a bad string ,   imo
 thanks for any suggestions .

dexter

drbassman:
I've tried just about every flat made (no kidding!) and I like most of them for various reasons.  Dave's right on all counts except I do like the TIs a lot.  I use the flats on numerous hollow and solid basses.  they are a bit pricey, but I like the definition of their tone-they aren't mushy or indistinct.   

Pyramids are unique for sure, but you gotta want that sound to pay that price.

I've recently been experimenting with Roto Sounds jazz Flats on a couple shortscale basses and I like them. they are medium tension and sound like the old flats of the 60s to me. the e-string is a bit thumpy and not as clear as I'd like but they are nice sounding flats for the money.

TI jazz rounds are still my favorite rounds.  Floppy, mid-rangey and plenty of bite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version