Author Topic: Need pix of the brothers!  (Read 139258 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Need pix of the brothers!
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
See!

I'm not the only one that goes both ways............... ;)

Thats true. I work in an office with 3 , shall we say...."alternating personalities" 

Like the title of the 1976 Skyhooks album says, "I'm just a straight in a Gay Gay world"

Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »
@godofthunder  - the pick up in the musicmaster bass isn't a EB-0 pickup but an telecaster bass pick-up I removed it because I didn't like the sound of it. It now has an GFS lipstick humbuckers, variotone, coil split, fase in out, serial/parallel, and a bypass switch for the variotone.

And I don't like to be cured off my leftyness, leave me that way.

Hey, cool bass! How does that lipstick humbucker sound on a bass? I have a pair of em in my Epi lp and they sound (kinda fenderish but) great!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »
I designed and built that 8 string non reverse thunderbird bass myself-minus attaching the set neck-and didn't have access to a spray booth at the time so I paid someone to do it. The color is Tahiti Coral which I saw one day on a 50's Chevy or Buick with white trim!!! Gibson wouldn't build one for me, even though i had a record deal!!! So....that's what i did!!!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »
So....that's what i did!!!

Wow, thats pretty special. Looks great. Is this a build from scratch or a conversion? Did you make the neck wider?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2009, 03:33:11 AM »
Totally built from scratch. The neck is about the same measurements as a P bass (Former Warmoth 8 string paddle head bolt on neck converted to  set neck like Gibson). Body is Honduras Mahogany, tuners and bridge are...Hamer, Pickups are Orville Thunderbirds.  think the neck is a bit heavy, though. I would LOVE to try a Rickenbacker 8 string and one of these days, I'm going to call Tom (Gearhed) and hook up with him.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 03:55:54 AM »
"I would LOVE to try a Rickenbacker 8 string ...".

Don't. We shouldn't have harsh reality interfere with our romantic afflictions. I've been there.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
"I would LOVE to try a Rickenbacker 8 string ...".

Don't. We shouldn't have harsh reality interfere with our romantic afflictions. I've been there.

My Ric 8 string is one of the most amazing instruments I've ever owned. Stays in tune unbelievably, even in Chicago! I'm giggin with it practically every weekend. Come on out!

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »
@exiledarchangel the lipstickhumbucker sounds very well in the bass. It's goes low but van sound very twangy. I like it a lot. The variotone switch is not a great succes on a bassguitar I think the differences are to small to be really usefull. It looks colls so I let it stay on.

A rickenbacker 8 string bass, I didn't even know they were ever made. Great. I have an The Asama 8 string bass but I haven't used it once on stage. I currently playing irish folkmusic so that's not de right type of music to play a 8 string in, I guess.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »
Uwe's Ric 8 string has a rubber neck, and nothing has been able to help it.

Most of them aren't that way. You probably won't convince him of that, though.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »
To be honest, Uwe's is not the only Ric 8 I've heard of with issues. I've seen at least two where the body wings were actually de-laminating from stress. I took a chance and got lucky. Mines a gem. It doesn't even have the usual stress cracks in the finish where the body meets the neck. Also, it's got the thickest fingerboard I've ever seen - maybe 5/16'' (or do you prefer 7.938 mm?)

Sorry about the off topic... I'm done!  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
Mine is at the luthier again, sigh, second set of truss rods were at the end of how far they can go. I'll probably have the fretboard stripped and the neck supported by graphite inlays. "Vee haff ze vvvays to stöp your böw, Fräulein Rickenbacker!" And while we're at it probably reverse the string/octave string sequence.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
Uwe, Just have them put one beefy truss rod in it and it should be fine. From what I know of Ric's after owning a few...Some are good...but a lot of them have that crappy folded trussrod system and I have seem many people remove the fretboard, fill it with wood and reroute for a Normal truss rod. In any case..I still love the dot neck Ric's. A sound of their own. But Not even close to a 60's Thunderbird. Tom, one of these days, when I can drive again, I'll have to swing by with my 8 string. I'd even love to swap for a run in the studio. Mercado is going to remaster one of our first songs so we will be definitely recording with him in the future. Would LOVE to try it for a song or 2. I fantasize about what they must sound like!!!!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »

These are from 2 weeks ago at Tolbert's Chili Parlor in Grapevine, TX. Bad hair day. :mrgreen:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
Hell, Ray.  Your bad hair days are better than my good ones...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »

Nice Ray,

Good to see you playing a Bird! I seem to recall you needing a tattoo tho.......How's that coming along  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...