Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Dust collectors?

(1/2) > >>

Lightyear:
Anyone here using one?  For years I've suffered with the dust and chips and the complaints from the wife about the mess.  Once I get my storage shed built I'll be starting to transoform my garage into a workable shop of sorts.  At this point I'm thinking of something along the lines of a single stage, 1hp Jet, Grizzly or Delta with an upgraded 5 micron bag - space and cost are both issues.

Dave W:
I have a 2hp Jet, it's more than adequate for my needs. Keep in mind that a DC by itself won't be much use on a table saw without extra measures (which I've never taken). It works well for most other uses, especially jointing, planing and thickness sanding.

If I were out in the shop every day, I'd probably do more. I'd buy an overhead air cleaner before I'd buy the micron bags. YMMV.

drbassman:
When I have a few bucks, I'm going to upgrade my vac for better dust collection and also install an overhead unit for the small particle stuff.  Overall, will probably cost $400 for both but worth it.  My shop is permanently in the basement, so I need to work on this issue too.

godofthunder:
This is something I will need to look into as well.

Lightyear:
I plan on running some permanent trunk lines on the walls and ceiling to accomodate multiple connections and will utilze blast gates.  Keep in mind that I will permanently have half of my two car garage as shop and that I'll have the other half when the boss lady's Jeep is backed out - so most of tools will be moblie to a certain degree. I'm also looking at the ceiling hung filter unit as well - Grizzly seems to have a better deal on these.

Plus, as a sign of getting old, I'm starting to worry about all of the dust I've been breathing in after 30 years of wood work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version