Author Topic: Jeff Berlin on TB today......  (Read 5657 times)

Blazer

Re: Jeff Berlin on TB today......
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »
I don't know about his personality, but those 2 clips (thanx Blazer) were boring noodley crap that went nowhere.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. most of these bass gods are too pretentious for me. i've known about Billy Sheenan for years (wife bass,yamaha etc.) though i don't think i've ever herd his music,just from bass magazines.

Heh listen to THIS...

And he also has the right attitude for this forum. "Having more than four strings on your bass doesn't make you a better musician."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
 :bored:
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rockinrayduke

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »
What's boring to some is poetry to others.  ;)

One man's Precision is another man's Thunderbird.

It's all good.

:mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
barf emoticon here  :bored:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »
 :mrgreen:
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »
I have no problems listening to bands like YES or Becks, Blow by Blow or Wired but find  that last clip, as SKATE RAT put it  
I have no explanation for why this is so but will restrain myself from becoming as animated as Dave  ;)

Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
If Fusion is something that winds up being a bunch of chord changes that lead to nowhere and essentially do nothing but confuse the listeners sense of timing, and crescendo after crescendo followed by self indulgent solos that may be  very difficult to play , but are even more difficult to listen to ..........then yeah, IMO Fusion sucks. Any type of music that is based on this type of foundation(which IMO is no foundation at all) sucks

Some of the Beck stuff that was mentioned and Chick Corea/ Stanley Clarke and tons of other stuff I like alot. If it has a groove , I can dig it  :)
If it doesn't, I can't >:(.  For me, this applies to any type of music.

Rick

rockinrayduke

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
I like Berlin with Bruford, enjoyed those albums. Now the other stuff where he's playing Clapton's solo from Crossroads I can do without. Pretty wanky.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 03:25:32 AM »
If Fusion is something that winds up being a bunch of chord changes that lead to nowhere and essentially do nothing but confuse the listeners sense of timing, and crescendo after crescendo followed by self indulgent solos that may be  very difficult to play , but are even more difficult to listen to ..........then yeah, IMO Fusion sucks. Any type of music that is based on this type of foundation(which IMO is no foundation at all) sucks

Some of the Beck stuff that was mentioned and Chick Corea/ Stanley Clarke and tons of other stuff I like alot. If it has a groove , I can dig it  :)
If it doesn't, I can't >:(.  For me, this applies to any type of music.

Rick

Rick that is about as good a description as I have ever heard. I might borrow your description for use in other places if I may?

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 05:57:30 AM »
I think Zappa summed up the kind of music I like. It has to have balls. I dont care what or how, but has to have big balls.

You guys failed to mention one of my favorite fusion / country bands - The Dregs.

They covered every type of music and opened my eyes to country chicken picking.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:01 AM »
Rick that is about as good a description as I have ever heard. I might borrow your description for use in other places if I may?

Thanks , and feel free. I would be honored :)

Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Yep the Dregs play music with an almost toungue in cheek attitude which (for me at least) takes all of the pretensiousness out of it and makes it good fun while still being virtuosic.
Digresion our specialty!