Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Gigging in New York

(1/3) > >>

EvilLordJuju:
Hey all - my band is doing a week in New York in April...

Basically we are travelling light - sort of a semi-holiday, with a few shows thrown in. Not taking too much equipment.

We are booked for the NME club and want to hopefully do a few more... anything really, open mics, anything. We all love playing and that's what we want to do. Big or small, free or paid, not really fussy!

So can anyone suggest some clubs/venues/organisers that we can approach? We are doing mostly sixties garage/rock n roll/blues type stuff. Yardbirdsy I guess. Any ideas?

Jules

godofthunder:
New York is a big place, are you playing in NYC or moving inland ?

Chris P.:
Nice Jules! Put that fookin place on the map! :)

Basvarken:
Jules: make sure you get a contract for each show!

We did a similar "tour" a few years ago. Semi holiday of two weeks in Florida. When we left The Netherlands we had 5 shows on our agenda. And there were 3 more in the making.

When we arrived 2 of the 5 shows were already cancelled. And in the end we only did 1 show!
It cost us a lot of money.
I would never do it again without contracts.

EvilLordJuju:
OK cheers guys.

Yeah we are just staying in central New York really - but then if you know anything out a bit then that could be worth considering i'll mention it to the others (i'm very much 'just the bass player', so all these decsions are up to the band overlords)

We did the same thing last year in LA and it was fantastic. Yes it will cost us - we are certainly not doing this to make a profit, but we will gig around the UK, and save up our fees to cover the costs of the trip, so in effect the band earns the money and the band spends it.

By the way we intend to do much the same thing in parts of Europe soon too. Mainly Spain, Holland and France.

We are working on putting on a very big retro event in the UK too, and if any of you guys have a retro leaning band, and can offer us a slot in your country in exchange - we can most likely put you on the bill - as I say I am just the bassplayer, the other guys are organising all this, but I said i'd talk to the other bassplayers around the world to see if anyone wants to work with us.

Cheers all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version