Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

1980's National Geographic Arctic Shipwreck article. Anyone remember it?

(1/3) > >>

OldManC:
A picture Uwe posted in a Gibson thread reminded me that I hadn't asked here yet about something I'm trying to find. 

In 1983 or 4 National Geographic had a cover story and wonderful article on a ship that (going from a 25 year old memory) became stuck in ice while traversing the arctic region and, while not sinking, was still shipwrecked when it became frozen, literally, in time. When it was found, the bodies of some on board were found mummified by the dry frozen climate. They were so well preserved that the piercing blue eyes of one 100 years dead sailor became the main thing you saw when looking at the cover that month. It gave me a recurring dream for years that involved digging up various relatives that had passed on to see how they were faring. Weird, I know, but I was only 18.

Anyway, I would really love to find that article or any additional information on the ship and sailors it told of. Does this ring a bell for anyone here? Can you point me to where I might satisfy my morbid curiosity?

As an aside, I've tried National Geographic's website but had no luck there or with any other internet searches...

If anyone can help me I figured it would be my bass brothers here. Thanks!

Bass VI:
George,
If I remember correctly, it was a British ship and they were trying to find a Northwest passage. Some misfortune befell them, winter came early or the just blew it as to where they were. As it was they were stuck, and it seems like the canned food ( which was a new invention that they felt would make such a long voyage possible ) was contaminated with lead, which led ( no pun really! ) to some pretty psychotic behavior ( cannibalism ) IIRC, when the ship was discovered some of the crew had been living aboard it and others had made a camp some distance away, others still had left to try to "walk out". I also seem to remember some politics being involved as to why the British government took so long to mount a rescue. I know there was a NG special about it or perhaps Discovery channel. I remember the cover picture too! ( although I never had an urge to dig anyone up to check that out  :mrgreen: )
I wish I could remember the name of the ship that would probably solve everything.

Hope that helps a little,

Scott ( BassVI )

OldManC:
Thanks Scott. It's a start!

Bass VI:
Found it! I think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7564570.stm

Darrol:
Clive Cussler's newest book in the Dirk Pitt series called Artic Drift kind of revolves around the two ships and their fate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version