Author Topic: Cat rips New York  (Read 2875 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Cat rips New York
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 06:09:26 AM »
The Epi sounds great. I wonder if it has the original pickups.

It should, whatever they are, they sound great on that bass and I'm generally not one to wave the P/J combo flag here which cosmetically leaves a lot to be desired. But the GRipp3r pups are loud, assertive, with a nice presence/treble (without sounding clinical), strong mids and ample ooomph. It is of course a Fenderish sound, but then the Ripper was always intended to be closer to a Fender than to an EB or Thunderbird. The nod to Gibson heritage comes from the placement of the pups which are both quite a bit farther towards the neck than they are on models of "that other brand".

I've said it before: Those Epi GRipp3rs (the more recent "Ltd Edition" ones, not the first series from the nineties which I can't comment on as I haven't played them yet) are great value for money and a happy marriage of Ripper ooomph, Grabber mids and G-3 snarl/presence. Plus an excellent modern type bridge that doesn't look out of place on that bass and is superior to the frankly cheapo Grabber and G-3 bridges and to most people easier adjustable than the original Ripper three point. Yes, that is an endorsement of this particular Epi.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...