Author Topic: While on the subject of Cartoons  (Read 4634 times)

Blazer

While on the subject of Cartoons
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:41:05 AM »
Let's talk about the cartoon characters that have been around for decades but if they were introduced today would not pass the strict rules of television for kids these days.

Jokey Smurf.
This is a no brainer, Jokey is a cruel person who takes delight in letting things explode into others' faces and laughing at their expense. Even more so he never learns, his terroristic ways have landed him in prison (During the "King smurf" adventure) being repeatly beaten up by the other smurfs and it even had Papa Smurf giving him house arrest. But as soon as the opportunity arises he walks out once more with his exploding giftboxes, ready to once again laugh at somebody's expense.

Donald Duck
According to the modern demographic Donald Duck would have never made it. Because he's loudmouthed violent and extremely moody. Not to mention that he's also prone on hitting his nephews with a branch if they pull something on him. He would be branded a child molester.

Jerry
Let's be honest here, Tom is not the bad guy in this cartoon. It is his job to guard the house and keep it free from vermin, his paycheck is the fact that he gets a roof over his head and that people feed him. Jerry however is a mouse one of the most unhygenic animals around, he lives in a house where he's unwanted, steals food and puts the blame all on Tom.  If the object is to show Good prevailing over evil, in Tom and Jerry it's always the other way around. Jerry is making Tom's life a living hell and he's always coming out on top? Such a mean character would NEVER have a chance on today's TV.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: While on the subject of Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »
yo Blazer.you need to get laid.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
yo Blazer.you need to get laid.

Nothing wrong with my sex life. And no I'm not about to tell you guys about it.

Seriously, what's wrong with me being interested in cartoons?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:11 AM »
Nothing wrong with it at all.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:59 AM »
hey i like cartoons as much as the next guy,but your doing psychological profiles on 'em.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
You may not have thought about it, but it has been 20+ years since anyone saw Speedy Gonzales or Tijuana Toads.  Both are No Longer Acceptable.

And in my biased and possibly ethnocentrically insensitive view, that is regrettable.

For that matter, I have a laserdisc of Warner Bros. Bugs Bunny cartoons that are no longer shown on their air, including a number of WWII cartoons with unfavorable stereotypes of Japanese and Germans, notably Herr Goering in lederhosen.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
I grew up on cartoons, comic books and now onto anime. I love your posts, I guess we all need to get a life?

Funny how today somethings are so strict with kids cartoons, yet South Park & Family Guy can be absolutely filthy yet on during the day ?

I love all cartoons from Astro Boy, to Kimba the White Lion. Cartoons are an art form to me. My wife hates all cartoons.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
Cartoons are an art form to me. My wife hates all cartoons.

+1  My first big "WHOA" moment was watching Gigantor as a little tyke.   

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »
You may not have thought about it, but it has been 20+ years since anyone saw Speedy Gonzales or Tijuana Toads.  Both are No Longer Acceptable.

I saw Speedy Gonzales so it has been less than 18 years considering I am almost 20 now.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Blazer

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
And not just in cartoon series, for the heck of it, watch an episode of Sesame street and you'll notice that one of them has gone missing...

And why? Because he advocates glutonny.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
The Turner Empire owns the Speedy Gonzalez cartoons, and until the last couple of years refused to air them as they felt they were racist.  One problem with the PC self-censoring was that the cartoons were very popular in Mexico and other Latin American countries, and eventually they let up and started running them again. 

Now, another favorite of mine was Mr Magoo's houseboy Charlie.  That is another story, and probably we will never witness his terror-filled pleas of "Misah Maglue" again.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »
And not just in cartoon series, for the heck of it, watch an episode of Sesame street and you'll notice that one of them has gone missing...

And why? Because he advocates glutonny.

Right. The phony "obesity crisis" manufactured by pharmaceutical companies with drugs to peddle and bariatric surgeons with dangerous, unnecessary operations to sell. Aided and abetted by public officials who want to control people in the name of "public health."

Rocker949

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
Political correctness is sheer garbage.  I freaking hate it.  It's still okay to bash Southerners for speaking their own dialect, though.  That's fine and dandy. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
It's still okay to make fun of Germans speaking English.  :)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
It wil ALWAYS be okay to make fun of Germans!! ;D  (I have a family full of them on my mothers side.)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT