Author Topic: EB-2 1959 Mudbucker Question  (Read 975 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
EB-2 1959 Mudbucker Question
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
Does anybody have a schematic of an early EB-2 and how the then-mudbucker with the black plastic cover with the pole piece screws in the middle (not the original singlecoil) is constructed? I'm asking because my luthier and I noticed today that the mudbucker of my resurrected blondie (which was rewired) has issues. I sounds out of phase (it is not wired that way, that was checked) and the magnetic field is all weird: As you move the string away from the polepiece screw the signal gets stronger instead of weaker. Currently, the bass sounds as if played through a broken compression stomp box - something is wrong. Possibly an issue with the magnets.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
Re: EB-2 1959 Mudbucker Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
Give me 5 minutes.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
Here you go.  The copy I got from Kalamazoo in 1983, with a date of 1960.  Close enough I hope.

The construction should not change for the pup - it should be wired in series.  Maybe double checking the magnets is in order.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:57 AM »
By the way, when you are poking around in there, what are your coil bobbins made of?  I think they should be thin gray fiberboard with the coils wrapped in black tape (not modern electrical tape but an almost paper material). 

Maybe Jules has been keeping track but I think the first few years were constructed the same, but they switch to plastic bobbins in the mid-60s.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
Terribly busy with work right now, the usual Christmas rush plus litigation work from the financial crisis coming in, but I wanted to slip in a quick "Vielen Dank!!!", very helpful info that is!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...