Author Topic: The worst Bass sound ever put on record.  (Read 9964 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Bass sound ever put on record.
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
I always thought 'the Boss' was a douchenozzle, but even if you love the guy you have to laugh when one of the supposed greatest songwriters ever has to steal from KISS to get his next single. I'm a KISS fan from way back and I even like their 'disco' song, but damn... And he didn't even do a good job of ripping it off!

That's OK though, Gene's already on the case!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 06:05:42 AM »
Never liked his music, but I respected him until he suddenly fired the whole E-Street band back in the '80s.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »
Funny but some tones I thought were the best I know no longer like. I really am finding I do not like the sound of "active" brittle/artificial basses like Alembics & Warwick Buzzard Birds ( JE ). Funny but my active Decade actually does not sound brittle or artificial.

I really loved the Alembic sound when they came out, like on songs like the Who's Eminence Front. Now, not so much.

I find I really like warm passive sounding basses and analog effects like Moog synths. I guess I am just getting old.

Rocker949

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 07:44:03 AM »
Funny but some tones I thought were the best I know no longer like. I really am finding I do not like the sound of "active" brittle/artificial basses like Alembics & Warwick Buzzard Birds ( JE ). Funny but my active Decade actually does not sound brittle or artificial.

I really loved the Alembic sound when they came out, like on songs like the Who's Eminence Front. Now, not so much.

I find I really like warm passive sounding basses and analog effects like Moog synths. I guess I am just getting old.

I also very much prefer the sound of warm, passive sounding basses.  But I suppose the reality of it is that we really may be too old school and getting outdated.  But new doesn't always mean better.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
I also very much prefer the sound of warm, passive sounding basses.  But I suppose the reality of it is that we really may be too old school and getting outdated.  But new doesn't always mean better.

I want tube amps, passive basses, big rumbling V8s and REAL Twinkies, dammit! And while you're at it get me some Chuck Taylors made the way they used to be, with the cushioned arch, two layer canvas and double stitching.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »

I went to a jam not long ago and took my 51 P RI, which I have really grown to love. There was a younger player there who had an Alembic and he really wanted me to play it and give it my stamp of approval. As I mentioned ,he's a younger player  who is always looking to cop some new licks, and for some strange reason , he looks up to me. Anyway, he proudly handed me his Alembic and spent a couple minutes giving me instructions. I spent a minute or two trying to dummy it down to a nice warm passivelike sound and then played a tune or two. It felt nice, but more like a guitar than my raw old slab of Fenderwood. It was very powerful and sounded good but I still couldn't wait to get my hands back on my 51 with its'  primitive volume and tone controls. I'm not knocking Alembics, but they aren't my thing.I get everything I want from my single coil pickup and volume and tone controls. In fact , I could lose about half the functionality on the upper end of the tone control and I'd still be OK with it.

I also was one who lusted for an Alembic many years ago :-[
Rick

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
I also was one who lusted for an Alembic many years ago

Same here, but I think a Wal would be better suited for the tone I prefer now.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »
I always thought 'the Boss' was a douchenozzle, but even if you love the guy you have to laugh when one of the supposed greatest songwriters ever has to steal from KISS to get his next single. I'm a KISS fan from way back and I even like their 'disco' song, but damn... And he didn't even do a good job of ripping it off!

That's OK though, Gene's already on the case!

With all due respect, George, Kiss did not invent the minor scale!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
On several Stones bootlegs I've gotten recently I can actually hear what Bill is laying down. I would have liked him a whole lot more than I have over the years had I heard him in a better mix.

I just bought a 4 CD set of Stones outtakes, demos and live BBC stuff from 1963 to 1971, Wyman's bass really stands out on most of the tunes, you can hear the Willy Dixon influence he probably got both from blues and also Chuck Berry, he could really play blues and rock. I was amazed at how good they sounded live on the BBC.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
Tom Hamilton seems to think his bass playing was the worst ever on this song.  In fact, he seems to be self-critical in general, but especially on "Walk This Way."

I thought his tone was great on that song but his playing was sloppy, I would not want to play in a band trying to copy lead guitar licks with a pick, you have to pick every individual note to make it sound good on a bass unlike a guitar and that song was just too fast.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »
 I think the bass tone on walk this way is horrible. To think he did it on a Thunderbird.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Blazer

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
And apparently, David Byrne was using the Belew effect.   Sorry, but I was never a big fan of Talking Heads.  And I can see now why the one time my last band tried a TH song, it sounded thin.   You need to double the stage musicians to get any meat out of a lot of their material.

Chris and Tina actually proposed the idea of firing Byrne and having Adrian Belew replace him as the leader of the Talking Heads. Belew kindly rejected the offer.

But Belew learned a lot while touring with the Talking Heads and applied what he learned with King Crimson.