Author Topic: What happened to the turtles  (Read 4137 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
What happened to the turtles
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
Follow carefully as you will be tested at the end

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5JHN5HaUg28

Turtles in the wild- the title is fitting
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CsFR2nr1S80&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:03:04 AM by Barklessdog »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the turtles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
Legal advice is like contraceptives: Best used before the act.

And there is another similarity: If not applied initially, both sides tend to blame each other for the consequences.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
I've seen that one before but it was a hoot to see again.

After the Turtles broke up, Howard and Mark couldn't even use their own names when performing, for contractual reasons. That's why they became Flo & Eddie. I never understood their association with Zappa, but then again I never got Zappa. I did like "Outside Chance" and their other early stuff.

Max Soren

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:38:35 AM »
When I was a teenager, my parents took my sister and me to a concert in another city that was called Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars.  There were a lot of bands there, including the Turtles.  After it was over, my sister and I were surprised to find out that our parents had been standing outside talking for quite some time to two of the Turtles.  That would have been more interesting than being in there watching artists who actually mean nothing to me now.  I don't know which two they talked to, but my parents said there were very friendly. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
After the Turtles broke up, Howard and Mark couldn't even use their own names when performing, for contractual reasons.

I was reading an article about John Fogerty, where he was not even allowed to sound like CCR (which was 90% his singing & guitar), was sued for sounding like himself & won, but has trouble writing music now because every time he tries to write a song a little lawyer pops up warning him he sounds like CCR, which is his own voice!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
And I guess bassist Jim Pons also went to the Mothers because his ex-wife was in Mexico, with manager #1.

That was truly priceless.  The sad thing is how many bands from that era have the same story.  I interviewed Spencer Davis, and he said a lot of the same thing.  Just not as funny, and without the charts.

I can see why they ended up a duo that has worked steadily for 40 some years.  We should all put on some Strawberry Shortcake and toast them!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
And Grand Funk and Bad Company and......